• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hooker header ground clearance

70rr2go

Reaction score
I'm getting close to putting in my engine (1970 roadrunner) and have a new set of hooker 2" #5209 headers. the question is do they hang low as compared to other brands? If they're going to be too low, I'd rather get something different so I won't have to live with it. thanks for reply's and pictures if possible.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If your running a B block they all hang a little low. The manufacturers make one header to fit both a B and an RB. So they tend to hang down on a non Raised Block

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I think if you do some research you may find that a lot of people have gone with TTI headers because they're supposed to give you the best ground clearance.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I measured the tti's that we have on a low deck (400) that's sitting in the garage on a stand. The headers hang about 7" lower than the bottom of the block. - Which just happens to be the same level as our deep oil pan.

IMG_0749.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Now I'm curious. If you're able to measure how far your headers hang down before you do the install, how do they compare with the tti measurement?

70rr2go

Reaction score
here's a picture from the ground up to the block (pan gasket hear the rear) it measures 30". From the ground up to the lowest part of the driver header is 25". On the pass side the lowest point is 24-1/2". So i's figure 5" on the driver, and 5-1/2" on the pass side.
2014.jpg

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
here's a picture from the ground up to the block (pan gasket hear the rear) it measures 30". From the ground up to the lowest part of the driver header is 25". On the pass side the lowest point is 24-1/2". So i's figure 5" on the driver, and 5-1/2" on the pass side.
2014.jpg

So they actually don't hang as low as the tti's. That surprises me after what I'd read before. Even if you are measuring off an RB instead of a B, yours should still give you better ground clearance. I'm glad to know this myself for future reference.

Back