• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you remove a rusted hub from front drum?

Big Block

Reaction score
Anybody have an idea of how to get a rusted hub off the front drum. I've got it off the car, I've tried everything except heat. Has anybody tried heat? It's never been off. I haven't tried a press since I don't have one, but I can buy one if I have to. I've beat on it until the weight fell off it, but the hub is still on.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello Big Block. Are the shoe's holding it. Loosen up the adjuster. Lot's of liquid wrench. If that don't work I have a half fifty gallon drum with a vinegar and water. Let it soak for about two day's if it dose not come off then through it back in and soak it another day. Had a pivot froze on my wind shield wiper. Soaked it for at least three days then ended up about a week. It came loose then used liquid wrench to finish freeing it up. It is better than using heat. A press might brake something. Good luck Big Block. Russ. :thumbsup:

Big Block

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I noticed around the stud it looked like it had been bradded a little, but I didn't know it would cause this big of an issue. All I wanted to do is get the drum turned.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
A good shop will turn the drum with the hub in place. If the shop says no, find another shop.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Dont sparate them for a brake job as Big John said. If you need a new drum then put it back on the hub before resurfacing (turning) it.

Ranger

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and NOTHING (including heat) would work. Finally admitted defeat and took it (hub & drum) to a local truck repair shop and had it pressed off, but it was still so tight that I knew if I reinstalled it, I would press it back on and still have the same problem. I finally used a die grinder with a fine stone to clean the center drum hole to where it would fit properly. Never did figure out why only one drum was like that. Pretty sure both are OEM.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I had a similar problem and NOTHING (including heat) would work. Finally admitted defeat and took it (hub & drum) to a local truck repair shop and had it pressed off, but it was still so tight that I knew if I reinstalled it, I would press it back on and still have the same problem. I finally used a die grinder with a fine stone to clean the center drum hole to where it would fit properly. Never did figure out why only one drum was like that. Pretty sure both are OEM.
Unless you are replacing the drum, there's absolutely no reason on earth to remove the drum from the hub.

Back