• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would you pay for a brand new RR body ?

426 4spd

Reaction score
I approached a body manufacturer and asked him if they could produce a 100% complete 1969 RR Body.He said put together a business plan! I would like to build a RR. It would be great to start with everything new. It would also be made in the USA.
I wonder if it would be a successful endeavor.
I would happily pay 20,000. What do you say ?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Good question, considering you can get a real nice one for 35-42k. So 20k plus paint 6-8k your getting close and still a non rolling shell just monetarily speaking

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looking at the Dynacorn cars they are around $17500 no hood deck lid or fenders made over seas?

426 4spd

Reaction score
Dynacorn are made in Taiwan.
If the new complete USA made body is requiring very little prep, I don't think body and paint would be near that much. What if 20,000. would include paint. I'll take that over a old former rust bucket that has been cut and patched together again. How much does that cost in time and labor? To much time if one had a choice. Just my opinion.
Many years ago I had a 69 and a 70. Not at the same time though. I liked them both, but I would take a 69 first choice. Heck I really like the 68.

quikbird

Reaction score
I believe that with the exception of about 5 parts, you can buy a new rr in parts to assemble.

RonLiv

Reaction score
For me anyway its about preserving a piece of history. It's like those Shelby replica things you see. Nice to look at but not the same.

426 4spd

Reaction score
Yes, Kind of like a kit car. Nice but not the real thing. But, I don't care. This way, one could build it exactly the way you think Plymouth should have built them in the first place. Yet it wouldn't ruin the originality or value.
Again, you could have a brand new car virtually identical to the real thing.I think a lot of guys would go for it.
Quickbird, what 5 parts are you talking about ? The parts available are made in China or Taiwan. So, adding all those replacement parts from overseas rubs me the wrong way . USA USA

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Wait till the Environmental guy's here about this. Just saw a special about the three burners that formed America. It cost more to clean up the emissions than you can get for a poured pound of steel. I like clean air and water but thing's have gone way to far and have cost our country million's of job's. Now back to the car. On this restore job I am doing got 7.000. in the buying of the car. Got another 7.000 in sheet metal. Also a grand here and their for other part's. When finished will be pushing around 30. Thousand. So some frame rails where good. K member good. Rear end some what have to rebuild. You see it goes on and on. It would be grate to have an all American car. Figure the thing would cost around 60 thousand to buy. Produce 45-50 thousand then dealer ship and labor. :usflag:

dmartin

Reaction score
Well I’ll say about 90% of my car is original American made and after all I put in it is probably 18 or 20 grand but it’s mine and not any old finance company nor is the body made of plastic

426 4spd

Reaction score
Let me clarify , I am also talking all metal body. No fiberglass or carbon fiber. 100% USA Metal.

quikbird

Reaction score
To answer the question, parts not available for example are the deck lid, the reinforcement w behind the rear seat, the dash frame. Think there is a couple more.

droptop

Reaction score
What about a title? Not sure how that works on a replica. And how would that effect the value on the finished car by not having a factory assigned vin?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I will stick with the survivors. Found in a barn. At a man's back yard. Hidden for years under a tarp. Or what ever. Then roll up your shirt sleeves and get down and dirty. New is grate BUT nothing like the old Bird. :beep:

426 4spd

Reaction score
The DMV would assign a new vin. Just like a kit car. You see that black Road Runner. That is me and my first RR in 1976. I love these cars as much as anybody.
Cheers

RKNRLR

Reaction score
What about a title? Not sure how that works on a replica. And how would that effect the value on the finished car by not having a factory assigned vin?
I have talked to guys here in OZ who have said at times it was easier to get an old car with no title registered as a new vehicle (think custom rod build) over here than it would be trying to track down the previous owners and all the associated paperwork.
This of course means new VIN, and you can make up your own make and model name for the car!

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same thing. building a road runner for scratch. But I would go all the way and build a full classic roadrunner except a modern hemi or hellcat crate engine. Here in Washington, to get a title you just have to show the finished car to the highway patrol so that they can make sure you have lights and stuff. It is very easy. The problem I see is that not all the body parts are made, especially for the roof.

roadrunner69440

Reaction score
Here’s another thought to your business plan, you could build 68-70! All innerstructure and roofs are the same, at the time of order you could pick which year to get the right quarters then you ad the fender hood and deck lid options too.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So where would you get the inner structure pieces. I had a hell of a time finding the outer upper frame rail. Try to find an A pillar post. Their are a lot of part's not made.

Back