• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to post on the website

bernardotom

Reaction score
Still not sure where to go to post, but will try this: Have 68 RR.-440/4 spd. Exterior was painted by former owner 2x w/ a Maaco Paint job. Every time rust started emerging he just took it to Maaco. It doesn't look half bad considering. I painting the eng.bay School Bus yellow -single stage- looks pretty decent. Now, My mechanic and painter said he will paint the body the school bus yellow, but not strip it, just sand it and paint over the Maaco green- single stage painting. Decent price $3000. He believes it will last maybe 5 yrs. I live in Va. so fairly mild climate. Keep the car inside-storage unit-not heated. Bad idea to go this way or what? I don't need a concourse job-just something decent that will last a few years. Your input please. Thanks.:wave:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome and post up some pics of that runner!

droptop

Reaction score
That would be 4 layers of paint!!!!! And you will still have the rust issues. Save your money and do it right. It will cost a lot more, but you will be glad you did in the end. :cents:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
That would be 4 layers of paint!!!!! And you will still have the rust issues. Save your money and do it right. It will cost a lot more, but you will be glad you did in the end. :cents:

:yeathat:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
:yeathat: and when you've spent your paint budget stripping all that old paint, you can join the primer club!

414_zpsogg85fp3.jpg

bernardotom

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice/input. I like to do things right. Is stripping the old paint off too much for a 70 yr old geezer. ? I'm in pretty good shape and do some house painting-small scale. I've stripped a porch railing w/ airplane stripper-that's the extent of my experience. The hood is a six pack hood-flat black so that doesn't need to be done(not that that is a major % of the body). Like that pic of the primered RR from Basketcase.! Will try to post pics of my RR w/ the Uh-oh... better get Maaco paint job!!! Objectively, I bought the car for a fun ride- not to restore to near concourse shape. However, I've put a good 10K in it and it is shaping up ( so I have a total investment of 22K in it)... so where does it end???:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
it never ends! most of us go buy this....make your car to make you happy...not the other guy. It's your car, your $$, and your blood sweat and tears that go into it. As far as being able to handle it....only you can answer that. but you are the boss. work at your own pace. One thing I've seen is where some one gets a car, tears it down completely, and real life rears it's ugly head, or the owner gets overwhelmed at the pile of parts.and the car sits for years, or gets sold off. I've stripped a car. It's not that hard at all. Take your time. Today, do the left fender. Tomorrow, the left door, etc. More if you feel like it. I never wanted a show car. I drive mine when I can, to work,etc, so I like to keep mine driveable. I was within a cats whisker of paint a couple years ago, and then my friend doing the work got COPD and couldn't finish it. Then my youngest started collage,etc. But I have no worries about scratches at least. Look forward to seeing yours!

Back