Idle setting 4-speed

Engine & Related

1. TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    What do you guys set your Idle at, I have a 69HP440 4-Speed And I am thinking 900/1000 rpm

Thanks Tom C.

2. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Hey Tom. searched the web and found www.mopar1.us/engine2.html. Now what I know on a manual shift car could run a lower rpm than an Automatic. They are saying between 800-850 for a 440 at 16pounds of vacuum. Depends on what has been done to the motor. With the high lift cam we always had to go a little higher to keep the car running but that motor was bored out with high rise intake and 2 double pumper Holley carbs on it. So if it is pretty much stock may be a street cam this should work fine. Good luck. Lets see what other's say it will be interesting to see. Russ.

TOMRR likes this.
  3. Ranger

Ranger Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Mine (383) sits right at 800 (with the vacuum advance on the lower, full vacuum port).

TOMRR likes this.
  4. quikbird

quikbird Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mine is set at 7-800 rpm

TOMRR likes this.
  5. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    Think the emission decal says 750 if it's a stock

TOMRR likes this.
  6. RKNRLR

RKNRLR Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Hey Tom, my 440 is set at about 1000. Any lower and it gets the old HTS syndrome. Does have a biggish cam in it with biggish heads too though.

TOMRR likes this.
  7. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Well Tom. Now that you are flooded with info roll the dice. It is a tweak and drive to get it rite. Like the guy's say if the motor is sock then what I said should be good. But bigger cam and diff. head's with diff. carb may have to go a little higher on rpm. The site I was on states that you should open vacuum port and adjust fuel flow. Well hope you get her like you want it don't get frustrated. If you can find someone with the old Sun machine that would be a plus to get her tuned up rite. Russ.