• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle setting 4-speed

TOMRR

Reaction score
What do you guys set your Idle at, I have a 69HP440 4-Speed And I am thinking 900/1000 rpm

Thanks Tom C.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey Tom. searched the web and found www.mopar1.us/engine2.html. Now what I know on a manual shift car could run a lower rpm than an Automatic. They are saying between 800-850 for a 440 at 16pounds of vacuum. Depends on what has been done to the motor. With the high lift cam we always had to go a little higher to keep the car running but that motor was bored out with high rise intake and 2 double pumper Holley carbs on it. So if it is pretty much stock may be a street cam this should work fine. Good luck. Lets see what other's say it will be interesting to see. Russ.

Ranger

Reaction score
Mine (383) sits right at 800 (with the vacuum advance on the lower, full vacuum port).

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Hey Tom, my 440 is set at about 1000. Any lower and it gets the old HTS syndrome. Does have a biggish cam in it with biggish heads too though.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well Tom. Now that you are flooded with info roll the dice. It is a tweak and drive to get it rite. Like the guy's say if the motor is sock then what I said should be good. But bigger cam and diff. head's with diff. carb may have to go a little higher on rpm. The site I was on states that you should open vacuum port and adjust fuel flow. Well hope you get her like you want it don't get frustrated. If you can find someone with the old Sun machine that would be a plus to get her tuned up rite. Russ.

Back