• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inland shifter

paulv

Reaction score
I have a 68RR 383 with the dreaded inland shifter. The problem I have is its a pain to go into reverse. The inland shifter also has a handle you pull up on with a cable which allows it to go in reverse. It will go into reverse, However once I take it out of reverse, I cant go into 1st gear, I have to play around with it, go into 3rd 4th, 2nd, then 1st. I'm told the shifter needs a rebuild. Any truth to that? Could the cable be stressed? And do I have the option of using a 69 hurst shifter instead? It is a numbers matching 383 coupe 4 speed. Thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Inland shifters can be funky and yes you can put a Hurst into it, you will need the full kit shift rods levers handle and mechanism and all. Check out Brewers Performance.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Shift doc. Has the shifter's. Like stated above Brewers has shifter's also. Hurst told me I need a new one but think after taking mine apart it needed new shim plates. Did not ask what a new one would cost. But don't think they make the shifter I have any more.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pull up on the lever to come out of reverse also. My wife's '68 Dart GTS has an Inland shifter. She gets it stuck between gears all the time because doesn't pull up on the lever to get it out of reverse. She drove it today and didn't have a problem...boy, was that a rarity...

Reaction score
Take your shifter off. Clean the mechanism, grease it, install and adjust it. It has a lower boot That covers the mechanism to keep dirt out. Make sure you have that on there.

There is no reason in the world to lift the lever to come out of reverse. It doesn’t do anything to gears 1-2-3-4.

it raises a piece of metal to allow the shifter over to the reverse gate. Once its in R the piece just sits on top of the blocker piece. That’s it. No majic.

nevada dan

Reaction score
now you know why they were replaced by hurst halfway through the first model year

Back