• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inspect u-joints

68RR

Reaction score
It was a beutiful day for a drive in my 68 Roadrunner. Driving down a country road I had to slow down for the car in front of me to make a turn, I punched it while in 2nd to about 5500 rpm, shifted into third, then boom. I coasted to a driveway where I could turn in. Had it towed to my mechanic's garage. Over the next four days I received bad news after bad news. Failed u-joint dropped the driveshaft onto the safety loop, banged into spinning differential, shoved driveshaft forward, cracked tail housing and transmission. A 10 cent u-joint cost me $4 grand in repairs. I pray none of my Roadrunner brothers ever experience this nightmare.

Resized_Resized_20210918_132116(2).jpeg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Not a good day. Sorry for your luck. Beautiful car. Love the color. Is it an automatic transmission? Hope your back on the road soon.

sarjag

Reaction score
I used to think that blowing a u-joint was the least damaging failure versus the rear gears or axle shafts buy your story shows that you never know. Sorry for your blowup but that is part of the hobby we love.

mr4speed

Reaction score
I noticed that you have tow tabs on front of your bird , couldn't flat tow it saves towing bill ?:beep:

rr in driveway.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

Back