• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument panel dimmer switch wiring

Tommy Fain

Reaction score
Hey need some help with my wiring. I am working on the instrument panel wiring, I can't get the dimmer switch to work. I have headlights and taillights but no power to the instrument dimmer switch. Which wire should be hot coming into the dimmer switch plug?

I read somewhere that there are 2 sources of power coming into the headlight switch. is this correct? And if so which wires? I have checked the headlight switch, but am not getting power out to the dimmer switch. Possibly a bad switch, I have a new one coming. I just want to make sure I understand the power sources.

I have a wiring diagram, but still a little confused.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
The site has a Factory service manual in the reference section. There will be a schematic there.

dmartin

Reaction score
The old ones were ok if you kept all the contacts clean you probably payed a pretty penny for the new one right, I know you’re going to laugh but I cleaned mine with ketchup and still have it and works like a new one, also check the firewall connector may have a loose connection

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Heard of using Ketchup before. I like contact cleaner on most electrical part's. If it works don't knock it I always say. :thumbsup2:

RonLiv

Reaction score
Where did you find the dimmer switch? Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Your going to be sitting down when you see the price but Classic sell them. Saw some on E bay myself. Mopar's part's and other's have them. Think I will clean mine before buying one. Maybe your looking for the knob or dial to be better looking. Their was also some where I saw that they repair yours. Have not surfed on this in a while. I don't remember if mine worked well or not. Knew the head light's worked. Won't be long before I get into working on the dash and all. So will be looking at all those part's my self. Russ.

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
I replaced mine and got it from Classic Industries. It looks just like the original and fit with no issues.

RonLiv

Reaction score
My interior lights go on and off properly, but the dimmer switch does not work.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Devin Duke out in Oregon refurbishes those switches. About half the price of buying a new Chinese one. He sells them and his services on ebay.

Tommy Fain

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I ordered a new headlight switch. I found it on E-bay for $60. Seller had 100% positive rating.
And I do have a complete service manual. And I have ordered a color codes diagram in larger print (haven't gotten yet) so that It will be a little easier to read I hope. ( eyes aren't as good as once was)
My problem is, I'm not getting power to the dash dimmer switch. Looking at the diagrams I'm not sure where the power source comes from. The tan wire coming from the fuse block going to the instrument dimmer is not hot. The fuse is not hot either and the orange wire on the other side is not hot. Previous owner had cut some wires under the dash when they changed dash.
Does the instrument dimmer get power through the orange wire, through the fuse and then out to the tan wire to the instrument dimmer. Or does the power come from the headlight switch?
Sorry if I'm not making sense.
Headlights work, taillights work, headlight dimmer work.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Don't you hate it when someone has copped wire's or spliced into the original harness to feed something else. Did you look into the wiring diagram under information. Like the service manual know I saw it some where. I down loaded one off the net and printed it. Hope someone will have the answer for you. :thumbsup2:

quikbird

Reaction score
Ketchup and coke are acidic which is how they clean the contacts. That said electric contact cleaner is a whole lot cleaner

Back