• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the 1969 GTX better than the 1969 Road Runner?

railrider

Reaction score
I had a guy tell me Road Runners are garbage compared to a GTX, and I was shocked since I think most people recognize the Road Runner name over the GTX. Thoughts?

69B5

Reaction score
Any one who would put down a 69 RR or a 69 GTX is garbage himself!!
My $.02

glhcarl

Reaction score
I would describe the difference between the two this way: the RR was Mary Ann and the GTX was Ginger. :drive:

railrider

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
I would describe the difference between the two this way: the RR was Mary Ann and the GTX was Ginger. :drive:

I can not help but think of the two together myself! lol ?

sam z

Reaction score
That's kind of weird. I've never heard of somebody saying something like that.

Of course, a line I've been waiting to use is "Well, let's go look at your GTX so I can see
the way a car should be." (Naturally, you can only use this line on a big mouth that you
are confident does not own one). I think this is a good idea personally.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Just another stupid statement made by a chebbie nut!!! :yesnod:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
I wouldn't even entertain that with a response. That's an ignorant comment to say the least. :chuck:

X2

The only person that has ever told me that a GTX is "better" than a RR is my very own better half. She just says that crap to try to get me (playfully) riled up... :toetap: I usually respond with something about a Mercury 'Cuda (she once sent me on a wild goose chase looking for a 'Cuda for sale that turned out to be a Cougar) and that shuts her up... :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
glhcarl said:
Well said :cheers:

69B5

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
glhcarl said:
Well said :cheers:
One thing for sure - they both would be a good ride.
And the cars too. lol

railrider

Reaction score
Some people just say things like that to get your blood flowing! If I had a GTX they would have said a Road Runner would be better. I just wanted to see if anyone here had ever gotten anything like that.

I do have to say if there were two similarly equipped 1969 Plymouth B-Bodies sitting here. One GTX and One a Road Runner I might have to pick the GTX. I really like the black out paint at the bottom under the moldings and some of the frills of the GTX. :leg:

railrider

Reaction score
glhcarl said:

I got to thinking about this and I think maybe they were A-bodies rather than B-Body lol ??

wannarunner

Reaction score
I like the notion of the RR stripped down to do battle. If I wanted a "cushy" muscle car, I would probably go Buick GS or something along that line.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
wannarunner said:
I like the notion of the RR stripped down to do battle.
Me likes the way you thinks... :lol:
:cheers:

wannarunner said:
If I wanted a "cushy" muscle car, I would probably go Buick GS or something along that line.
Hard to argue with 510 ft. lbs. of torque and ice cold air conditioning...even if it isn't a MoPar... :yesnod:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
some people say stupid crap like that just to show you what a dumbass they really are.... :soap:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
some people say stupid crap like that just to show you what a dumbass they really are.... :soap:

It's the same car - but GTXs have more options - usually.
The base motor in the X is bigger 440 vs 383, but for '68 they both could have the optional HEMI. Is a 1968 HEMI GTX better than a '68 Hemi Road Runner?

wannarunner

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Basketcase said:

It's the same car - but GTXs have more options - usually.
The base motor in the X is bigger 440 vs 383, but for '68 they both could have the optional HEMI. Is a 1968 HEMI GTX better than a '68 Hemi Road Runner?

I don't know about better, but the GTX is probably more rare/desirable/worth more......

Roadcuda

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
If you're going to put it that way, then it's Mary Ann, no boubt about it! :banana:
:banana:

jays69bird

Reaction score
If the car is a 69 then it has to be a Road Runner,however if its a 68 then I prefer thr Get X. When I was a kid there was a guy named Allen perry that had a 68 X with a Hemi in it up the street.I have alot of memories of that car, sadly it burned up in a garage fire one night.

Back