• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack info for '70 RR

WWheeler

Reaction score
I bought my '70 RR mostly disassembled and some of the detail items are hard to figure out. Like the jack assembly in the trunk. Does anybody have a picture of how the jack is stored? I think I have all of the correct hardware, just need help to see how it goes together.

I have two bolts that secure the spare tire. Any idea which is correct for my year? See attached.

Also, I have spring that was advertised as being used to hold down the jack on 70 B bodies. Not sure it goes on this car. See second attached.

One final item, I see there is a felt pad that is used on the jack presumably to keep it from rattling. Any idea where it goes?

Finally getting this all cleaned up and painted. I ground off the stops on the jack post so I can separate the mechanism from the steel post. According to an article I read, "9J" that is stamped on the rivet, is the build date for this jack and translates to 10-69. Darn close for my 2-70 build date.

Thanks!

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

woodwiz

Reaction score
That looks great! I have been researching these factory jacks and it appears they are'nt cheap. Any ideas on finding and price? (used) is ok too!

WWheeler

Reaction score
I bought these many years ago so I am not up to date on pricing. I do know there are two styles and 70s could have either. The early version uses a painted cast iron post and the later uses a hollow steel tube that is zinc plated. I had a ‘70 383 car that was earlier and had the cast iron post style.

Back