• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just keeps getting worse

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
:soap:
My wife stopped by Bass Pro Shop, in Harrisburg Pennsylvania yesterday. I asked her to get some ammo while there. Well there was no pistol ammunition to be had. The only thing she could get were the .22 LR bullets, and they were limited to two boxes of fifty rounds per customer at five bucks a box . What a f@&#%*$ joke .
How are you guys making out getting ammo? I do have a local guy, but it's no bargain.

mcmopar

Reaction score
$5 per box of 50 is a freaking bargain these days! I sure would not be barking about prices like that. I've been buying ammo for my .22's, .380 acp's and .40 cal Ruger. So far the cheapest I've paid for .22 is about 13 cents/rnd for shorts and about 12-18 cents/rnd for hollow point LR. I was at a gun show last month here and got a box of 550 rnds of .22 hollow point LR for $70. And that was a bargain(!)
The .380 has varied from 43 cents/rnd to 55 cents/rnd. I just got 250 rnds this week from Cabela's.
Last week I scored .40 cal for about 43 cents/rnd. All prices include shipping. All I do is cruise the net looking for the best prices. For the .40 cal I went to MAH Supplies and Midway. For the .380 I went to Cabela's (item #21-6471, $18.99 + shipping per box of 50 rnds, limit 5 boxes per order) and for the .22 I went to Gunbroker.com.
I've got enough now to go to the range about twice a month for the rest of the year. Hopefully by the time I start running low the prices will have dropped. Yeah, right.

dobie

Reaction score
I haven't bought any ammo for quite awhile. It's still nonexistent in local Wal-Mart's. Gun shops have some, but it's still insanely priced and only in limited quantities.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm hoarding mine doing very little shooting until supplies come back. I always keep XXXX rounds of everything and if I can't replace it I don't shoot it.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't bought any in weeks. Mrs. ACME is trying to put me in the poor house with all of her new appliance purchases... :toetap:

dobie

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I'm hoarding mine doing very little shooting until supplies come back. I always keep XXXX rounds of everything and if I can't replace it I don't shoot it.

I'm right there with ya.

mcmopar

Reaction score
It can all be replaced. The question is: how much are you willing to pay? I'm very tempted to pick up another Ruger SR40. I found one online for $390. Add in the shipping and transfer fees and the total is $450. that's not bad for a nice .40 cal. handgun and 2 - 15 rnd magazines.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
dobie said:
69hemibeep said:

I'm right there with ya.
Same here. Considering the current circumstances, I think it's a bit naive to think ammo will always be available. Call me paranoid if you want. Not to mention the fact that I'm not buying bullets at these absurd prices just to blow holes in paper. :cents:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Well, if you are going to hoard without adding to or replenishing your stock you may end up on the short end of the stick unless you have a thousand rounds or more in your stash. This stuff can be perishable in some circumstances so having fresh stocks is always a good idea. If you are going to hold on to it, it needs to be stored properly in a climate controlled environment, of course. And if the gov't decides it wants to start seizing private stashes of guns and ammo (extreme but not out of the question for this administration) or outlawing possession of guns and ammo it may not do you any good anyway.

Besides, remember when gas prices went up and never came back down? What makes you think that can't happen with ammo? We may be seeing an extended drought on the availability of ammo with no easing on price or availability in sight. Better to get what you can, when you can, at the best price available than to pass on it and wind up paying even more later on.

I am "blowing holes in paper" simply because I want to be proficient with my weapons. I'm a late-comer to all this so I have a steep learning curve. I want to be able to handle myself appropriately if, God forbid, the time should come that I have to defend myself or someone else. Practice makes perfect and I intend to get all the practice I can get. If it costs me a few bucks, so be it. I will have the necessary confidence to do what I have to do if the time comes...

:cents:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
I bought a FNFAL a couple of months ago and already sold it because of the 7.62 NATO ammo prices.
:crazy:

I wondered why we never heard any more about that rifle...now I know... :yesnod:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely does depend on the choice of gun. Some stuff is outrageous and some stuff can't be given away. I see a lot of odd stuff available at our Wal-Mart that has been there for months. Kind of makes me want to look into what kind of gun takes those rounds.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Well, if you are going to hoard without adding to or replenishing your stock you may end up on the short end of the stick unless you have a thousand rounds or more in your stash. This stuff can be perishable in some circumstances so having fresh stocks is always a good idea. If you are going to hold on to it, it needs to be stored properly in a climate controlled environment, of course. And if the gov't decides it wants to start seizing private stashes of guns and ammo (extreme but not out of the question for this administration) or outlawing possession of guns and ammo it may not do you any good anyway.

Besides, remember when gas prices went up and never came back down? What makes you think that can't happen with ammo? We may be seeing an extended drought on the availability of ammo with no easing on price or availability in sight. Better to get what you can, when you can, at the best price available than to pass on it and wind up paying even more later on.

I am "blowing holes in paper" simply because I want to be proficient with my weapons. I'm a late-comer to all this so I have a steep learning curve. I want to be able to handle myself appropriately if, God forbid, the time should come that I have to defend myself or someone else. Practice makes perfect and I intend to get all the practice I can get. If it costs me a few bucks, so be it. I will have the necessary confidence to do what I have to do if the time comes...

John I know what your saying, I just don't shoot as much as I did, not until prices level off. I bought it XX,XXX rounds of various calibers cheap and out in the dry west this stuff will last a long time especially the way I store it. And I do rotate my stock as I use it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
mcmopar said:

John I know what your saying, I just don't shoot as much as I did, not until prices level off. I bought it XX,XXX rounds of various calibers cheap and out in the dry west this stuff will last a long time especially the way I store it. And I do rotate my stock as I use it.

With prices as they are I don't blame you, but given the political climate in this country right now I don't see things easing up any time soon. Once this current regime is gone I'm afraid that Hillary will probably be elected continuing the same old, same old. Unless the Repubs can pull a rabbit out of their hat I just don't see things changing. Ammo is going to be continue to be difficult to find at cheaper prices for many years to come, imo. Prices today may seem like a bargain in 5 years if things keep on going the way they are...

mcmopar

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
your getting really old , you really need to practice more

:acme: That's what I'm planning for Sunday afternoon. Gonna put 50 rounds through the SR40 & JA-380's and about 100-200 through the .22's. I'm really looking forward to seing how the SR40 performs.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
mcmopar said:

Same here. It's not so much the pricing, but availability. There is only one privately owned stored that has ammo near me. This guy must have seen this coming and stocked up. Other than him good luck finding anything anywhere else. It's simply not going to happen, and I'm really not very comfortable ordering on line but it may be the only way at some point. I'm going to be stingy with my ammo for now.

mcmopar

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
69hemibeep said:
mcmopar said:

Same here. It's not so much the pricing, but availability. There is only one privately owned stored that has ammo near me. This guy must have seen this coming and stocked up. Other than him good luck finding anything anywhere else. It's simply not going to happen, and I'm really not very comfortable ordering on line but it may be the only way at some point. I'm going to be stingy with my ammo for now.

Yeah - availability in local stores is non-existent almost. They have some at the local ranges we frequent but it is still cheaper online. So far I've had excellent results ordering online. The guys at work tease me that if and when everything hits the fan they are going to come to my house since I'm all stocked up! :D There for a little while I was getting a delivery almost every week it seemed. The sources I mentioned previously have been very reliable - Midway USA, MAH Supplies and Cabela's have been top notch, as well as the private sellers on Gunbroker.com. Ive not had a bad experience yet and the prices have been acceptable, at least to me. :thumbsup:

Back