• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeps popping out of 2nd gear...help.

utahcarguy

Reaction score
So my new (to me) '70 RR keeps popping out of 2nd gear, but not when I upshift usually. It happens when I am slowing down for a stop light/sign and I downshift. So it seems to be a one-sided issue with the trans gears. Could this be as simple as a linkage adjustment or something? It has actually done it a couple times in first as well and makes an awful grinding noise until I move to neutral and try again.

Sounds like a trans rebuild, but I wanted to check here before taking it to a shop.

Coyote

Reaction score
Possibly an adjustment could help (try it first). Sounds more like the detents on the synchronizer hub are severely worn or fractured. GOOD LUCK!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey utahcarguy did you get the transmission fixed. Was wanting to know what the problem was. The info is always help full. To another car guy. Back in the day we had same problem with our transmission second would go out from snatching gear's off the line. Yes new gear and sink's where put in which solved the problem. Some time's shift linkage need adjusting but most of the time we had to brake her open and do the replacement gear thing. Well hope every thing work's out. Hate to see a crippled bird. From Russ69Runner in Fl.

Back