• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

key lock cylinders

Big Mo

Reaction score
I tried to install my locks Friday and discovered I could not get the clips to go back of the little tabs. So I checked the thickness of the door now that it is painted. I got my trusty little micrometer out and sure enough with the coats of primer/base coat and clearcoats, the door is thicker than OEM. I used my Dremel to remove a small amount off the cylinder tabs. Still will not fit. Anyone else ever have this problem? Not sure how to fix this. Any help here would really be appreciated, BIG MO.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is what happens with after market part's Big Mo. It is a pain in the A. I am just getting to that part on my car. Let us know what you find out buddy. Russ.

Big Mo

Reaction score
That is what happens with after market part's Big Mo. It is a pain in the A. I am just getting to that part on my car. Let us know what you find out buddy. Russ.
thanks Russ but the thing is I am using the oem locks.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So the door is original also. Like I said now you have me wondering what or how mine may work Russ.

Big Mo

Reaction score
So the door is original also. Like I said now you have me wondering what or how mine may work Russ.
the locks came off the doors. My painters used at least 3 coats of primer- sealer-base coat-and 4 coats clear. I think that buildup made it thicker than oem.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That could be true. Yes I have quite a few coat's of primer/base coat/ color blender with flake in it then three coats of clear. The thickness is only in mill's but that is a lot some time's. Hope you get it figured out. Oh plus I bed lined the in side of the door's. I may be in real trouble.

Big Mo

Reaction score
That could be true. Yes I have quite a few coat's of primer/base coat/ color blender with flake in it then three coats of clear. The thickness is only in mill's but that is a lot some time's. Hope you get it figured out. Oh plus I bed lined the in side of the door's. I may be in real trouble.
Hi Russ. I went and talked to my friend that done the body work on my car. He does not restore cars he builds custom cars. He designs cars of all types so he makes parts and pieces all the time. He told me to grind the little ears off the lock except on top where the square chrome piece is. Put lock in door and put a small hose clamp on the inside replacing the clip. Works fine.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Big Mo. A fix is a fix. Let me see what happens when getting to that point. Russ. :BangHead:

Back