• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaded vs. Unleaded?

JJRJR

Reaction score
At the risk of opening up a topic that has been beaten to death. . .

During my recent chassis dyno session, I was (always have) gotten a bit of run on when trying to shut the engine off when it's hot. The guys told me that other than making some mods to help with vapor lock and/or fuel being too hot (which it is) they suggested a higher octane fuel.

The best unleaded I can get in South Florida is 93. I'm running 10.5:1 CR and the timing is at 33 or 34 full advance I believe. The tuner said that's where we got our best overall performance BUT the octane was an issue.

OK, so can I use 100 low lead aviation fuel? Can I use a full leaded racing fuel at 108 octane? I want to stay away from octane boost additives as I've heard mixed reviews.

Any thoughts on the aviation fuel or leaded?

Thanks guys.

John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
With your aluminum heads you should be fine when you get the temp down. I have blended both with gas in the past without problems but 100% aviation is very dry and tough on certain rubber parts.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
well 32 years ago when i was working on small airplanes, there was plenty of lead still in 100 LL avgas. i used to run it in my first road runner when i had to take care of the fuel trucks. would have to drain off about 10 gallons a day to make sure there wasn't any water and it went right into my car. when i was cleaning the lower spark plugs on airplane engines, i would have to chisel the lead deposits out. another thought is i used to run a lead additive to the 41 Buick so that may be an option to add to the 93 octane.

Last edited:
Back