• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's Do It; a Favorite Year RR List Thread...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since Jerry's moral or ethical question thread evolved into a discussion of our favorite/least favorite RR years...let's have at it. Give us your list of favorites or least favorites...AND WHY.

Here's mine...

Favorites:
1) 1969. Car of the year. Everything a muscle car should be. Only year for the A12, and look, it's the name of the website... :basketcase:
2) 1970. The grill & tail light treatment can only be described as mean-looking.
3) 1971. Last year of the Hemi and the Six Barrel. Beautiful body lines. Ever see one backed in to a cruise spot at night with the parking lights on? 'Nuff said.
4) 1968. Started it all. Put a set of slots (Stoner Mags - thank you, Chris... :lol: ) on one with no deck lid dress up and they look like they're ready for a fight...
5) 1972. I want a RR/GTX parked in my garage...

Least Favorites:
1) 1973: A face only a mother could love...and 318 as standard equipment...
2) 1974: As if 1973 wasn't enough...
3) Any of the F-Bodies... A sign of the times I guess...sigh...

Let's see your list...and more importantly...the reasons why... :devil:

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
'69, same reasons as Ray's
'68, as close to a '69 that you can get without getting one, and has to have the decor package, love the tail panel
'71/'72 just looks mean
'70 can look as mean as the '71s
'73/'74, '73 was my first mopar, and very fond memories of a blonde and learning about the birds and the bees...... :devil:
'75 and up....sorry, no love

Steve

Reaction score
Faves:
69,as Ray says.
70,Very cool air grabber hood,dust trail decals and Rallye instrumentation.
71,Tough looking front end.

Least Faves.
75 and on,WTF hideous :puke:
73,74, Start of the slippery slope,Nothing to like here.
68,Wishes it was born a year later,horrible grill and tail lights,black and white decals.People that bought these regretted not keeping their money for a 69. :acme: :acme: :jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
In this order:

69 duh
70 good styling
68 started it all

least favorite:
71-74 too round and too much plastic
75 was that really a Road Runner?
76 up. I don't even know the last year they made them. That's how little I care. All I can think about is Newbomb Turk and Volare when I see them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXRby61yER0

dobie

Reaction score
1968 of course! Its the original, the one that brought back the muscle car concept...The one that Jack Smith and so many others fought to bring to the people, knowing the masses would buy it.

I love the round marker lights! I also prefer the 68's grill over the 69 and later. However, I like the tail lights and trunk lid on the 69 better.

1969 is #2, just cause. Very close to the 68's, but enough differences keep people happy. Plus, how can one argue with the A12 cars? :D

1970, if nothing else for the Superbird and the wild colors.

After that, it kinda goes downhill for me.

:cheers:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
1. Love my '68. If it were a '69 I'd say the same, but that's what I have. for all the reasons Ray described the '68 model year, they just look mean . I also like the fact that I'm the only '68 at any cruise I go to.(unless my buddy George shows up)

2.'69 who wouldn't want an A12 car?

3. '70 put some high impact paint on it and it just says look at me. Awesome gawk factor.

4. '71 very cool body lines and graphics.
Kinda ends there for me. :thumbsup:

jays69bird

Reaction score
69,it was the watershed year,coupes,hardtops,and a convertible.The 440 6BBL. cars,and Car of the year,also best selling year.

68,the first one,without it's success there would have been no 69.

70,the popup air grabber,the Superbird,Rallye dash,however I do think the concept of a low budget muscle car started to slip as you could load one up.

71,styling was sleek and the last year for the legendary 383 and Hemi. However the 71 apeared massive compared to the previous cars even though it was on a shorter wheelbase.

72,pretty much the same minus the motors and last very limited year for the 440 6BBL.

73-74,not as sharp as the 71-72 due to the 5mph front ends,still my brother had a 73 340 and it was fun,IMO the last real Road Runner.

75,really Plymouth ? the Road Runner as a competitor to the Monte Carlo ? maybe you should have saved the La Manche moniker for the 75 and let the name die with some dignity!

76-80 a Volare with a tape stripe package nothing more!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The 76 pic below is the best of the best year and color. Followed by 74,73, 68 and then 69 because it was the only one in my price range :D

3E73M63L15Lc5G15Jad5he7764d3bef351f4a.jpg

droptop

Reaction score
Ray, I love them all equally. That is about like asking a parent witch kid you like the best. :lmao:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Of course '69 is first. It was my very first car that I was able to buy and I think has a well balanced design.
The '68 and '70 are second for me. As has been said the '68's are what started it all with the plain Jane muscle car concept and the 70's are close to the original design with some cooler graphics.
I kind of like the looks of the '75's despite the down graded engine power because of the new govt' emission rules.
The '71's and '72's not so much because of the design.
The rest aren't the real thing but I wouldn't rule one out just for the "you don't see many of those," factor.

moparmonk

Reaction score
69 and 68! Cause turning a key to get them running on the dash is Waaayyy Cool! These things were made to haul-ass, not groceries. How many race cars you ever see with the ignition on the column?
70 was next... Something about a blacked out straightened grill and a "Forget Hell" front plate is still etched in my head from the first one I ever saw.
71 Come on guys. Completely the same running gear in an airplane styled curvey body all in one year? Pretty ingenious to pull that one off. And the Satellite was Car of the Year, too! (Roadrunner would of got it but they couldn't give it to that cause it already won!)
72 Yeah, Right in your face 69 Camero with the 70,71,72 parking lights!

Well there are others but my attention span was pretty much all used up.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
The 76 pic below is the best of the best year and color. Followed by 74,73, 68 and then 69 because it was the only one in my price range :D

Okay Mr. Sponge Bob, I see that you have taken some of Chris' :pot: pills just to enhance our entertainment experience... :basketcase:
Now that you have that box checked, you want to try again...? :nachos:

The Big Kahuna just made my day by getting in a Newbaum Turk reference... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a feeling that Harold would not play favorites... :D

I find it interesting how opinions on the '71-'72 cars are split into the love 'em or hate 'em camps. Kinda just like you see on '70 R/Ts and Super Bees. Not too many people in the middle of the road on those cars.

I think Jay is the absolute master of the understatement... "72,pretty much the same minus the motors and last very limited year for the 440 6BBL." By most accounts there were only two '72 V code RRs made - and only one still known to exist... Which is why I referred to '71 as the last year of six barrels...just to clarify... :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Okay Mr. Sponge Bob, I see that you have taken some of Chris' :pot: pills just to enhance our entertainment experience... :basketcase:
Now that you have that box checked, you want to try again...? :nachos:

The Big Kahuna just made my day by getting in a Newbaum Turk reference... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a feeling that Harold would not play favorites... :D

I find it interesting how opinions on the '71-'72 cars are split into the love 'em or hate 'em camps. Kinda just like you see on '70 R/Ts and Super Bees. Not too many people in the middle of the road on those cars.

I think Jay is the absolute master of the understatement... "72,pretty much the same minus the motors and last very limited year for the 440 6BBL." By most accounts there were only two '72 V code RRs made - and only one still known to exist... Which is why I referred to '71 as the last year of six barrels...just to clarify... :D
I'm sorry :basketcase: #1. 1969 do to the tail lights grill and the A12. #2 1968 because it was the beginning of the low buck muscle car and a great body. #3 1970 same body lines and the begining of the end because they became dressed up like a GTX after that. The new style was decent but got worse each year. There are some that still catch my eye with the right package in the early 70s. For instance Harold's Black beauty.

mcmopar

Reaction score
69 & 70 pretty much equally.
I like the '70 exterior styling the best of the 68-70 models, plus the Air Grabber was just plain cool. And then there were the Rallye Wheels in 15". And all the wild colors and excellent striping. 440 6BBL now a full production piece and much more refined - with a Dana 60 standard with 4 speed or automatic. 426 Hemi also much more street friendly with hydraulic lifters and still a beast. And it just looked BA in the Rapid Transit System.

The '69 because it was C & D's Car of the Year, and also for the interior, which was superior to the 70 in every way. I even like the '69 4 Speed Hurst Shifter with the fake walnut ball top better than the vaunted "Sword In The Stone" Pistol Grip. The Pistol Grip is great in a '70 E-Body but not so hot in a B-Body IMO. The '70 interior just looked cheap to me. My dad bought a '69 in the summer of 1970 and we had a blast in that Q5 family car. 383-4 speed, with only one option - a medium grade interior and bucket seats. It became my daily driver in the summer of 1974 and I was a senior in high school driving a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner in the '74-'75 school year. Life was definitley good!

'68 because it started the whole thing. Not much for the grille but the full tail light treatment was cool.

73-74. IMO WAAAAAY better than the horrid '71-'72 "fuselage" styling. I guess I just like the sharper edges of the 73-74 better. When I first saw the '71 RR on the Cover of Car Craft back in the summer of '69 I wanted to :puke: :puke: :puke: My first thought was "Why did they do THAT?! :huh: :brickwall: At least the '71 Charger looked good...

'75 - WT???? :crazy:

76 Volare RR - Please! Even with a 360 they sucked.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
Who are you guys kidding We all know !970 is the best
You kinda have been a little different your whole life Stuie, and your mama attributes that to being dropped on your head at birth when the doctor went to hand you to her. My poor misfit Stuie :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
'70 - 440 6BBL now a full production piece and much more refined - with a Dana 60 standard with 4 speed or automatic.

Um, No. You have it completely backwards. In '69 the Dana was the ONLY diff for the 440-6 regardless of tranny. In '70 the TF-backed 440-6 got the 8.75" UNLESS someone checked the A32 or A34 box. There are LOTS of six-barrel '70 & '71 MoPars of every species running around with TFs and 8.75" diffs.

And if by "refined" you mean heavier, slower, and with any-ole-part-off-the-shelf engine components rather than hand-selected, then yes, they definitely were more refined... :lmao:

:jester:

Back