• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter Clicking

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Just put my engine back together and I have a lifter clicking. I put a bigger cam, new lifters, the same 906 heads with stronger springs the same push rods and same stamped steel rockers. Sounds like #8. I did not put the old parts back exactly where they came from. It runs great but sounds so cheap. What can I do??

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Did you prime the motor with the oil pump before trying to crank it. I primed mine as per U tube. While priming turn the motor and turn the motor some more by hand. Droptop is probably rite on. All new components in my motor no old part's. Hope you get it figured out buddy. We use to soak our lifter's in oil before we put them in the motor also.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I did prime the oil pump but not the whole motor. No I read that it's better not to fill the lifters with oil, to let the engine do it. Yes I should have used all new parts. Maybe I will get a new set of lifters and push rods. What do you think? Should be OK right?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sound's like one of the lifter's did not pump up. I don't know why you could not fill the lifter's. Would not hurt a thing. But on U tube the guy just kept turning the 440 as he was priming the motor. So I did that till I thought I had done it enough. Had 50 psi showing on the oil pressure gauge the hole time I did it. My engine guy got all new push rod's and lifter's. Did not use any thing old but the crank he found me which was in good shape only 10 thou too true it up. Even had new lifter's put in the stamped type that came with the motor. So Think you could pull that # 8 lifter and replace it. I would fill it before putting it in the motor.

cosgig

Reaction score
You can pull the lifter and replace it, it will probably fix the problem if you’re sure which one it is. My car will tick when I first start it up, but by the time it warms up and I get up to the corner, the tick is gone, so I just drive it like that.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
OK. Mine never goes away. I plan to search further to identify which one is bad then replace it. Maybe get new pushrods too. Will let you know. Thanks guys.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
OK. The engine looked and ran great but I could not stand that lifter tick so I pulled them out one at a time and found that the intake on #6 wasn't pumped up solid. When I set it on the bench and pushed down on it with a pushrod it gave a little. The others were rock solid. Got one lifter and a new set of push rods from Summit and it sounds great now.

Back