• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for help decoding data tag

Scott Kuntz

Reaction score
I'm restoring a 69 rr for a customer. I done alittle research on the tag but not sure if I've got it all right. The car has been since 79, it is a 383, air grabber, auto on the column, ps, it has a vinil bench and a dark green vinil top. The car is dark green with original paint and primer over the original paint, the car was pretty rusty and someone started some poor repairs at one time. I found remains of a side stripe on the inside of the doors and fenders, the rest was already removed. I'm sanding and buffing the car now getting ready to go together. I'm just waiting a second opinion on tag from someone with more knowledge than myself. Just want to put hood stripes on it if needed and any other items for original. I have a few other questions also, interior color, I've seen several different greens, how do I know which one I had for correct carpet and color match, etc. This is my first restore on a chrysler product. Any help would be great thanks

Screenshot_20181012-210453.png

Screenshot_20181012-210453.png

20180125_092633.jpg

20180125_092710.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Please put the tag back don't loose it. So many car's get restored or painted and the tag get's lost. That is what is wrong with my car someone painted it and did not put the tag back. Now someone here will let you know on the tag. Their sharper on this than I am.

Scott Kuntz

Reaction score
Thanks for the concern. I restore cars for a living. The tag will be on it when it's done. Wouldn't be very good business if I made mistakes like that. I have a 70 cougar eliminator 351c 4v, 4sp, number matching. Was took apart at one time and they lost the vin and data tag. This can all be remade for ford cars, and there is records from the factory for the build specs, I don't know if this is a avaliable for chrysler products. Just thought I'd mention it

RonLiv

Reaction score
Y16 Sales Bank Car
M31 Belt Moldings
N96 Fresh Air package
R11 AM Radio (2watt)
V1F Vinyl Top - Green
V21 Performance Hood treatment
A01 Light package
A14 Spring special
J25 3-speed wiper motor
L31 Fender Turn signals
M21 Roof Drip rail moldings
F8 Ivy Green
E63 383HP 4bbl
D32 Heavy duty automatic trans

From my notes when decoding the tag on my car.

Scott Kuntz

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Question did this have side stripes. I found stripes inside doors and fender edges. I didnt see anything about it on your decode, or is it part of a package. Thanks

RonLiv

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Question did this have side stripes. I found stripes inside doors and fender edges. I didnt see anything about it on your decode, or is it part of a package. Thanks
No stripes that I saw on the fender tag. Code V7(and a letter indicating color) would be an accent stripe that is a single painted stripe 1/4 inch in width. Code V6(plus a letter indicating color) is the Longitudinal stripe that is a sticker and is two stripes on top of each other. Both would run the length of the car. My car is a V7B car, you can see the stripe painted. The V6 would be in the same place and much more visible, but again it is a decal, not painted. 37174841_10213733164016367_4264014329986154496_n[1].jpg

RonLiv

Reaction score
You have the N96 code which is the Fresh Air or Air Grabber. This is mine. IMG_2162.JPG

RonLiv

Reaction score
Here is one I found with a V6 stripeV6 stripe.jpg

RonLiv

Reaction score
PS: Chrysler has no records so if you loose the Fender Tag, you're out of luck unless you have the broadcast or build sheet.

RonLiv

Reaction score
hoodstripes-jpg.10954
Your V21 code for the hood.

RonLiv

Reaction score
A14 is the key to your side stripe question. It is part of the spring special package.

https://www.69roadrunner.net/mopar/threads/a14-1969-only-spring-special.13731/
I stand corrected. Thank you drop top for correcting my error. Obviously I'm no expert and wasn't familiar with what all the "A14 Spring Special" included. Looked it up: Special consisted of Vinyl roof, magnum road wheels, Belt moldings, black hood paint, longitudinal stripe. Sure grip rear end and different F70 tires.
What is interesting they did include the separate codes for the Vinyl top, the hood treatment, and moldings. You'd think they would have put the stripe code to define the color. Or were they only available in white?

Scott Kuntz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'm not familiar with chrysler and there packages and options. I was questioning the stripes because of the remains in the doors, fenders and Jambs. Also glad to know about the wheels and tires. We're just wanting to put the car as close to original, with all the options it came with. I hate to keep asking but it had a dark green interior. I saw several different greens in carpet color is there a certain green that is in the data tag that specifies a exact color. If there is anything else in the packages or spring specials that would be helpful in the restoration of this car. Thanks again for all the help

Resized_20180214_105914.jpeg

Scott Kuntz

Reaction score
I was looking at the hood layout, I see it said scoops are black. These are red, they don't look to be ever messed with. I'm sure they came this way. It has the air grabber if that makes a difference. Also nice car Ronliv. Thanks

quikbird

Reaction score
You might look under the rear seat and see if there is a build sheet there. That will have info as well

RonLiv

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'm not familiar with chrysler and there packages and options. I was questioning the stripes because of the remains in the doors, fenders and Jambs. Also glad to know about the wheels and tires. We're just wanting to put the car as close to original, with all the options it came with. I hate to keep asking but it had a dark green interior. I saw several different greens in carpet color is there a certain green that is in the data tag that specifies a exact color. If there is anything else in the packages or spring specials that would be helpful in the restoration of this car. Thanks again for all the help

View attachment 26647
Not that I'm the authority, as previously proven, but it would be my opinion since F8 is the darkest of the Plymouth Green options, that would take the darkest green carpet. I'm just using logic, not any knowledge of this is what is the factory carpet.

Back