• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower control arm

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So what is the preference on the lower control arm set up. Or should I say adjustment. How many turns on the torsion bar adjuster. Don't want to look like a gasser but don't want the low ridder look either. Getting to that point as the K member is in and the wheel's are going on this week. Just waiting on the torsion bar boot and clip's. Still plenty to do till they come in. Russ. Thanks for the help buddy's. :thumbsup2:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They're all different. Get it all together, put it on the ground, and then worry about setting the ride height. Anything else is putting the cart in front of the horse.
And don't tighten the LCA pivot pin nut until you have it on the ground with a load on it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
After the car is finished and ready to align the service manual has ride height parameters and where to measure

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is what I thought but just about done with the K member. Will be a while before it is all done. So will leave the pivot pins loose on the lower control am for now. Thanks 69hemiebeep.

Roadtrip

Reaction score
Set it to what ever is pleasing to your eye. Going from memory, mine usually end up about 26 3/4 - 7/8” from the floor to the fender opening (measuring from the floor straight up through the Center line of the wheel).

As @ACME A12 says, do not tighten the lower control arm (LCA) pivot nuts until weight is on the wheels and desired ride height is set or at least very close to where you’re going to want it. If memory serves I don’t think your supposed to tighten the front strut rod bushings/nut until weight is on the wheels too. The strut rod takes a 1/8” by 1” roll pin, not what lots of folks do when they put a cotter pin in there..

Big Mo

Reaction score
So what is the preference on the lower control arm set up. Or should I say adjustment. How many turns on the torsion bar adjuster. Don't want to look like a gasser but don't want the low ridder look either. Getting to that point as the K member is in and the wheel's are going on this week. Just waiting on the torsion bar boot and clip's. Still plenty to do till they come in. Russ. Thanks for the help buddy's. :thumbsup2:
Russ, my friend has a 66 Bel. but he likes the look of a gasser so he cranked up on the adj. and found out it didn't handle or ride as good.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes that is what I was thinking also. Will try to stay stock height or just a little more. Thanks for the advice. Big Mo. :thumbsup2:

Back