• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lower cowl panel patching

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
One part of my car that still has rust is the cowl. It is only in the two low spots where the heater box and vent connect. I suspect it is a combination of the mice that were living in there, and since that is where water could sit.
upload_2018-8-2_16-27-31.jpeg
luckily, the lower cowl on my parts car was much nicer, but since it is a real pain to take the whole panel off, I have to patch in the two sides.
Since both patches are complicated shapes, I have to get creative about what method I will use to make the piece fit the car right. I decided to use aluminum tape to create a template, using the duct hole as the reference point. Here is the template placed on the area I will be putting on the car:
upload_2018-8-2_17-22-38.jpeg
Then here it is transferred to the existing lower cowl panel and outlined in sharpie:
I then can cut both pieces and in theory, they should fit perfect. Well, they sort of did. It was close enough that I was able to continue with not much extra work and I got the cowl patches welded in to place. You almost cannot tell it was repaired!
upload_2018-8-2_17-29-43.jpeg
Just to be sure that I got both sides to go in right, I mocked up the heater box and vent to make sure they still fit right. Better to find out now than when it is all painted.

Both sides have the right amount of gap for the gaskets and seals that are supposed to live there. The drivers side gets an 1/8 in foam seal and the passenger side gets an inch tall rubber gasket. I think that went well.

-Mr.Moe-par

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Look's good. Mine was worst than that. The thing is that part is a trap all for any thing. Mice or not no buddy ever cleans that part of the car just like your frame rails. Who washes out these area's. No one dose. So the out side look's goo but what are you doing about the inside cleaning up the weld's and painting. Well Keep up the good work. Just to mention this is the reason why I replaced the upper and lower cowl's on my car they where both in bad shape. Russ.

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the other side. I will just shoot paint in as far as I can, which should be fine. The car is rarely going to see water anyways so it isn't too big of a concern to me. If I had more money, I would have probably done what you did and replace the whole cowl.

-Mr. Moe-par

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
In vest in the bed lining gun from Eastwood along with the extension wand's one straight spray and one with 360 degree fan really helped me out getting into areas not so access able. With regular spray gun's. :thumbsup:

Back