• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual trans reverse switch

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
OK. Got the wiring and the lights squared away. I think the switch on the 4 speed is bad. Two questions. 1. Is it above the oil level so if I take it out the oil will stay in?
2. How does the switch work? Mechanical or magnetic?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its low and a reverse paw pushes a steel ball outward to make contact if I remember correctly. I need to bust out the service manual anyway cause I'm going through one soon.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just got of the phone with Wayne at Brewers and he said the same thing as what Bob is saying. Any thing I need to know about these A833 transmission that is who I call. Try pushing ohms through the switch while in reverse and see. The ball pushes in and grounds the switch. Possible It could be cleaned may be dirty contact's. Brewer sell the new switch. Terry.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Good info thanks guys. I will look and post back this weekend. Damn work thing gets in the way. Take care.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I looked on the web to day at rebuilding an A833. An article from hot rod magazine showed the switch and went into detail on how it worked. So if you get a chance check it out. :beep:It also described the Dextron 2 or 3 is used in them. Still have to take mine apart and rebuild it just to busy working on getting the body done rite now.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Don't worry, the service manual calls for heavier gear oil in warm climates. 90W might shift a little slow in a cold area until warm up.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I just watched the Detroit Muscle A833 rebuild and it was great but it didn't show anything on the reverse switch. I saw a lever when it was taken apart and I'm sure that's what actuates it. I probably just need a new one.

I live in the Mojave desert so its plenty hot here for 90 weight. Even in the winter.

Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well that is what I read in the article. We always put heavy oil in our trans. here in Florida. Thought 80 or 90 weight also. The article said that it would shift a little stiff with the heavy oil in it. So what the heck do I know. :lol: I guess don't always believe what you read.

Ranger

Reaction score
Dexron III has been replaced by Dexron VI and is backward compatible.
That said, the '69 service manual calls for SAE 140. I tried that and it shifted like it was filled with molasses (in January). Gear clash in all gears until it was warmed up. Drained it and used Sta-Lube 85/90 from Napa. Better but, still had some 1 - 2 gear clash when cold. I was advised by a Mopar expert to try Pensoil synchromesh. Worked like a charm. I'm a believer.
20140924_110331.jpg

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Finally got around to checking the reverse switch. It is bad. You will lose about 3/4 quart of oil when you remove it. Got one on order. One more problem ironed out. On to the next one.

Thanks for all the help.

Back