• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max rear tire and wheel?

Jazzhorns

69 Bahama Yellow-Air Grabber-4 Spd
Reaction score
This is my first post here. After owning a Duster for several years I finally sold it and was able to find my "Bucket List" car, a 1969 Bahama Yellow RR. I purchased the car in Dec.

I would like to increase the wheel and tire size in the rear and want to put the largest I can on there without making any mods. It currently has Magnum 500's on it and I'm keeping that look, but was hoping to increase the rear wheel width to a 10" with a 275/65 or 275/60. Back space is where I'm a little unclear. Should the backspace on a 10" wheel be 5 or 5.5? Or will neither work. I've been told a 5 will work but I thought I'd better just go to the people that own them for the best advice.

So....I guess the bottom line question is: What's the largest 15" wheel and tire I can get under my 69 Bird without making any mods???

Thank youspeed shop.jpg

speed shop.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I{ have 2756015s on mine. 15x8, had Magnums with the same tires before I got the Cragars.

RR3.jpg

RR3.jpg

Goon

Reaction score
I have Mickey Thompson Drag Radials on my 69 RR
295/65R15 on 8" wide rims with 4 1/2" back spacing
30.1" tall
11.8" wide

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Last edited:

Goon

Reaction score
I do have Super Stock Springs. But I read somewhere that this tire size will fit on stock springs. You can look up old posts on this site, there is info on this ?

Last edited:
Back