• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement

mykers

Reaction score
Hello all, new to this forum and new to Mopar. Anyhow, had old cars most my life, just has a question regarding a fuel pump installation. I have installed several mechanical fuel pumps before, but just a basic install. I have heard some nasty rumors about the pushrod (and some interesting stories) that does or does not need to be replaced when I replace the fuel pump? Keep in mind its an old 383 that I'm just trying to get road worthy until the greenbacks come for a full resto.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated and thanks for your time in helping me out :)

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
With out removing the rod and measuring it who knows if the new pump acts bad the rod is worn most likely. This was never an issue with the old oils of the day.

mykers

Reaction score
With out removing the rod and measuring it who knows if the new pump acts bad the rod is worn most likely. This was never an issue with the old oils of the day.
Thank you for your reply. That brings up another question. In theory, it would be best to replace the rod with a similar one in size right along with a new pump?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I like mechanical pump's if you not building a race car. For a thought we ran these pumps even back in the day and they preformed pretty good in a 440 we put in a 340 duster. Had two double pumper Holley carburetors with mid rise intake. It ran fine with the mechanical fuel pump. Good luck with the project.

Back