• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More on the wiper motor

Bill Monk

Reaction score
I've looked through the threads but still can't find an answer to my question so here goes:
Somebody swapped a 3 speed motor into the car before I got it but kept the 2 speed switch. The wipers are not working so I'm working on this blind. I picked up a 3 speed switch because I figure that needed changed either way and it has 2 additional spades than the 2 speed switch does. can anybody tell me what these 2 spades are? The spades I'm referring to is the one on the very bottom and the one on the far right. If I know what they are supposed to go to, I can run the additional wires, but I'd like to do it right the first time.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

dmartin

Reaction score
I only have a two speed motor but my guess is it might be for some kind of delay maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmartin

Reaction score
The back of my switch has six legs and it's a two speed so the seventh leg must be for the third speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadcuda

Reaction score
May I suggest that you go to Factory Service Manual here in the reference section and look up the wiring diagrams. That should give you the answer you're looking for.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I took a quick look at the FSM wiring harness and it looks pretty simple.

You should have 6 wires going to the switch and there should be letters marked on the switch near each terminal.

Pink is the power. Terminal B
Dark Blue goes to the firewall connector and is terminal P
Dark Green goes to the firewall connector and is terminal F-2
Brown with a white stripe goes to the firewall connector and is terminal A
Red goes to the firewall connector and is terminal F-1
Brown goes to the washer switch and is not marked. I'm pretty sure this is just a single plug.

Big John

Reaction score
I would start by checking the pink wire for power when the ignition is on.

Then go to page 8-85 in your FSM and do the continuity test in the chart at the bottom of the page.

That's assuming that this motor worked before.... If you don't know, I would start at the motor. Again, the FSM will have a good, simple procedure.

The FSM is available here: http://www.69roadrunner.net/mopar/showthread.php?330-01-Dealer-Reference-Service-Manual

or you can download a zipped version here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

While you're at it, grab a zipped parts manual here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=107

Bill Monk

Reaction score
I took a quick look at the FSM wiring harness and it looks pretty simple.

You should have 6 wires going to the switch and there should be letters marked on the switch near each terminal.

Pink is the power. Terminal B
Dark Blue goes to the firewall connector and is terminal P
Dark Green goes to the firewall connector and is terminal F-2
Brown with a white stripe goes to the firewall connector and is terminal A
Red goes to the firewall connector and is terminal F-1
Brown goes to the washer switch and is not marked. I'm pretty sure this is just a single plug.

Hey John, I have a 7th spade at the bottom of the switch that is designated resistence cable. In the diagrams it show a wire from this spade to one of the others on the switch but I can't tell which one it goes to

Big John

Reaction score
Hey John, I have a 7th spade at the bottom of the switch that is designated resistence cable. In the diagrams it show a wire from this spade to one of the others on the switch but I can't tell which one it goes to

The resistor is already on the side of the switch. See the white ceramic block?

attachment.php

I have no idea why they have an extra spade there. My best guess is the switch also fits something else and that's there to ground the case or something like that.

Bill Monk

Reaction score
10.4, thank you Sir.

I got it all buttoned up last night and it works great. All's well that ends well. (Although I think I'm getting too old for the whole taking the dash apart thing. You have to be a contortionist to get to everything)

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
10.4, thank you Sir.

I got it all buttoned up last night and it works great. All's well that ends well. (Although I think I'm getting too old for the whole taking the dash apart thing. You have to be a contortionist to get to everything)

I always suggest taking the front seat out if you have a lot of under dash work.

Back