• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More sending unit fun!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Today I took my bird to my Mopar mechanic to get the timing straightened out which is much better now! But what was thought to be the other easy thing turned into a marathon. Before the Carlisle trip I put another new sending unit in the car, which turned out to be worst then the one that was just a year old was. So one thing we did was pull the sender out to test to test the ohms and found it to be between 8 at full and 70 at empty. Also he tested the gauge itself and it seemed to move through the full range ok. So we hooked up the wires out of the tank and moved it through the range and found that it was reading about a 1/4 tank low throughout the range. We then tested the unit that was in it before which was a little better, but not much. So it was decided to try bending the float arm and did that in two places on the arm. It was placed back in the tank, and refilled at about 5 gallons at a time. So after putting 15 gallons in it only move up to half full!
Well, the tank was drained again more adjustments were made, put back in with the same results. While it seemed to show close to full and empty the biggest problem seemed to be nothing was showing in the mid range of travel. So we opened up the housing on the sending unit to make sure there was contact in the full range of movement and there was.
Since he is a bit of a Mopar parts hoarder, he found some original sending units he had. we opened up one of these and discovered something that may, or, may not contribute to this problem. On the reproduction units the windings are about 7/16" wide for the full length of travel. While looking at the original unit it was found that at the empty end of travel the winding was also about 7/16", but it narrowed down to about a bit over 1/8". When this was put into the car the gauge read much closer to what was actually in the tank. Still not perfect, but was a big improvement over the repro, junk out there now. The gauge is reading much more accurately now. So we are wondering is the fact that winding narrows down the difference in why it seems to read more correctly, then the new ones at are the same width through the travel area, especially in the mid range areas. What do you guys think?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If my electronic skills are not completely gone it acts as a potentiometer or pot meter and since the bottom of the tank is smaller than the top it requires more windings or contact points to stay accurate. so yes it would make a difference, I can't wait to see if I know what I'm talking about from some one that hasn't been out of school in 950 years :lol:

V269

Reaction score
So ah Bob, if you knew this already why didn't you let us in on it. :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
V269 said:
So ah Bob, if you knew this already why didn't you let us in on it. :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :jester:
I never opened one to look, I'm happy with mine :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
V269 said:
Are you happy with it because it's an original, or did you get lucky with a repro that actually works?! :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
V269 said:
Are you happy with it because it's an original, or did you get lucky with a repro that actually works?! :D
Mine is a repop that I calibrated on my bench with an ohm meter to the empty position, but it does read high at full. :cheers:

Jim S.

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
If my electronic skills are not completely gone it acts as a potentiometer or pot meter and since the bottom of the tank is smaller than the top it requires more windings or contact points to stay accurate. so yes it would make a difference, I can't wait to see if I know what I'm talking about from some one that hasn't been out of school in 950 years :lol:

950yrs. is like yesterday. Yeah you are right Bob, remember linear and audio taper potentiometers? The linear one changes resistance the same through its range and the audio one starts out changing resistance slowly until it gets about halfway and then goes linear. I guess that would make sense with gas tanks because they are not linear like you so eloquently stated. :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
69hemibeep said:

950yrs. is like yesterday. Yeah you are right Bob, remember linear and audio taper potentiometers? The linear one changes resistance the same through its range and the audio one starts out changing resistance slowly until it gets about halfway and then goes linear. I guess that would make sense with gas tanks because they are not linear like you so eloquently stated. :jester:
You make my head hurt I'm having flashbacks. :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I think I'm glad to have been blessed with working gas gauges all these years.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

ohm_zps2d6e4e0a.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
now if I was the mod on this site, that would be in your avaitar.... :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

ohm_zps2d6e4e0a.jpg
:lmao: :lmao: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

Jim S.

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

ohm_zps2d6e4e0a.jpg
:lmao: :lmao: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

Sure, somehow he remembers that part of electronics school! :lmao:

moparstuart

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
[quote="Big John":27lbwzu2]
69hemibeep said:

ohm_zps2d6e4e0a.jpg
:lmao: :lmao: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly[/quote:27lbwzu2]

Sure, somehow he remembers that part of electronics school! :lmao:[/quote]
what do you expect from a pole dancer

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly for Gold or Silver is how I was taught this...

I remember after learning how to read resistor codes when I was in High School just how impressed I was that my father had made a successful career of electronics in the Air Force - ground radar/inertial navigation/avionics age - as the man is color blind! Pretty good stuff right there... :thumbsup:

:jester:

gunnar

Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

ohm_zps2d6e4e0a.jpg

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :thumbsup: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly for Gold or Silver is how I was taught this...

I remember after learning how to read resistor codes when I was in High School just how impressed I was that my father had made a successful career of electronics in the Air Force - ground radar/inertial navigation/avionics age - as the man is color blind! Pretty good stuff right there... :thumbsup:

:jester:

You know what the funny thing is... I've been surrounded by electronics all my life. My Dad was a whiz at the stuff. He used to repair radios and TVs on the side. I still have a few of his things. He built complicated machine controls and even built a circuit board back when such things were pretty much unheard of. One of my brothers is an Electrical Engineer and like my Dad, he could do about anything electronic. He built a color console TV from a kit once.

I've worked around high tech electronics all my life.... My business gets most it's income from calibration of electronic test equipment.... and yet, I'm a mechanical type guy.

Don't get me wrong, I know a few things here and there... hell... I even know how to test vacuum tubes (used that skill the other day!), but maybe it's because I'm around guys like Acme's Dad that really know their stuff (My two business partners are Air Force PMEL) I just feel like I know nothing...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I remember enough to get by and do some trouble shooting and also kept up to speed with the new phone co. stuff that was put into the field over the years, carrier equipment and some fiber, but I'm the first to admit that I don't know much :yesnod: .

Back