• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor will NOT turn over

vso737

Reaction score
HELP,

I'm working on a 1969 RR with a 400CID motor (with less than 5,000 miles on it ) hooked up to a "TCI" TF 727 street-fighter with 1,000 miles on it and a NEW "TCI" torque converter. The first one was DEFECTIVE...........

Well, the transmission re-install was going fine UNTIL I heard a METAL CLICK while hand turning the motor and from that point on I could NOT turn the motor.

After removing the transmission and replacing the pump seal and input shaft seal and reinstalling the torque converter, I went to war reinstalling everything back on the car. Of course, I took advantage and had the Hooker long headers silver ceramic coated to cut down the heat inside the engine compartment. Something I have wanting to do for a long time.............

Everything was going to plan. I chose to HAND TURN the motor instead of using the starter. All the plugs are out and it turns pretty good...............I was able to install ALL four bolts, with 'lock tite', on the flywheel with the intention of going back after they were all in and tighten them down. I got TWO bolts done and when I went to turn the crank to tighten the third bolt, I heard a metal noise and immediately realized that the motor could NOT be turned anymore. I can back it CCW and then turn it CW approx. 2" to 3" but NO further.

I suspected maybe something wrong with the transmission and/or T/C. I made sure I tried turning the motor with the transmission lever in park and also in neutral. I'm able to turn the driveshaft while the transmission is in gear as well as in neutral so it appears to me that my PROBLEM is strictly in THE MOTOR.

NOW, without having to start taking everything apart.............I need some advise on what could be causing the motor to NOT turn over.

I'm sure I COULD NOT BE THE FIRST person this has happened to.

Thank you in advance,

LG,
Mike
:crushed:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you lock it up against one of the two remaining TC bolts that aren't snugged down all the way?

vso737

Reaction score
I looked at that. I tighten them down but NOT all the way until I had all of them in.

I looked up and could not really see the bolts but there seemed to be a lot of room between the bolts and bell-housing for them to catch onto. I guess I should try and investigate that further. This was one of the first things that came to mind. Worth checking it out further...................

Usually it is the small stuff that always causes me problems..............Will be under the car again to check this out.

Thanks for the suggestion................

LG,
Mike

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
My first thought is the converter bolts, as was said. The second thing that comes to mind is if the converter was seated in all the way into the transmission. That might cause the same issue. The converter has to seat fully into the pump on the front of the trans.

Putting the trans in neutral won't do anything to tell you if there is an issue with the trans or converter. I would suggest removing your converter bolts and see if the engine is free. If it's still bound up, it's in the engine.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
With the trans bolted to the block there should be a little play between the converter and flex plate if the converter is into the pump.

vso737

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank YOU again ACME A12....................

I revisited the flywheel bolts as you suggested but NOT until I purchased scope camera.........best investment I have made in a long time. Besides, I always wanted to be able to see in dark places since it seems like that's where I have been spending a lot of my time lately........LOL

Like I stated earlier, at least with me, it is ALWAYS the simple things that DRIVE ME NUTS.

NO, it wasn't the flywheel bolts that were too loose. I had tightened them originally thinking about them becoming an issue but I did NOT want to Completely torque them down until I had all of them installed, been on that trip before.

The CULPRIT was the STARTER SPACER. The TIP OF THE SPACER was bent towards the torque converter causing it to touch and block any further movement of the flywheel. It seems that both bolts went through the spacer plate but I admit, I spent a LOT Of time getting that starter mounted. It is a BEAR getting the full size starter mounted with long Hooker headers installed. If I ever have any issues with this starter, I will be replacing it with a HIGH TORQUE MINI starter. I put one on my Model A SBC and love it.

SO, this is one that should be saved for future reference. I'm sure that if it has NOT happened before, it sure will happen to some un-expecting fool like me in the future. You can NOT imagine the headache this little incident caused me.............I guess that's what keeps me feeling young.

Once again, THANK YOU all. We are very fortunate to be able to get on a website like this, with like minded individuals, and helpP1090715.jpgP1090716.jpgP1090722.jpg each other out.

I will be posting pictures once I complete the task. Here are a few............

LG,
Mike

P1090715.jpg

P1090716.jpg

P1090722.jpg

Onebadhemi69

Reaction score
I read the post and saw you found the culprit . If you ever decide to replace the starter......to save a few dollars, you can put the starter that fits a '02 to '05 Dodge Hemi pickup. I've tried the mini torque starter and it worked fine until I broke a few teeth on the bendix. I needed a starter that day and didn't have time to send the starter back to PowerMaster until recently......which is now a spare. After 2 years, the pickup starter is still going strong and its smaller than the original starter.

Onebadhemi69

Reaction score
I read the post and saw you found the culprit . If you ever decide to replace the starter......to save a few dollars, you can put the starter that fits a '02 to '05 Dodge Hemi pickup. I've tried the mini torque starter and it worked fine until I broke a few teeth on the bendix. I needed a starter that day and didn't have time to send the starter back to PowerMaster until recently......which is now a spare. After 2 years, the pickup starter is still going strong and its smaller than the original starter.

vso737

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. One thing about this motor, it starts up real quick. It has a manual choke. The starter has been working perfectly. HOPE it continues to do so..........I do NOT want to visit that task for quite some time..........
Which really surprises me because it has an MSD set-up and checking the spark plug gap, I found only a couple which came close to the stock setting of .035. They were all in the .020 to .030 range. I'm putting in new plugs set at .055...........Should make a big difference. ONLY TIME WILL TELL..............

LG,
Mike

Back