• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 6AL mounting location?

Steve-70RR

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a MSD ignition box on my 70 RR....honestly having a hard time find a suitable spot under the hood where it will decent plus allow for all the wiring runs to be neatly laid out. Does anyone have a Pics where they might have installed either a MSD or similar box?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I mounted mine vertically on the right inner fender down at the bottom a few inches back from the rad support. No one ever noticed it. The present owner has kept it in that position.

Steve-70RR

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the feedback. I’m going to check at these locations today. I hadn’t given any thought to “hiding it” since I bought the black one and it kinda marries right in with the entire “look” under hood.

Goon

Reaction score
plenty of wiring to mount under battery to the fire wall and back to the distributor. DONT let MSD wiring run side by side with spark plug wires. ALSO, Solid Core Wires: You CANNOT run Solid Core Spark Plug Wires with an MSD Ignition Control. Solid Core wires do not suppress any Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics or rev limiters on your vehicle. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wire MUST be used.

Steve-70RR

Reaction score
Goon,

Thx for the input! I caught those concerns in the documentation. I routed everything away from the plug wires, headers, etc. should be good to go. Actually ended up mounting the module vertically down under horn location. Ran the battery positive and negative leads out around the front tucked up in the radiator frame (where the headlight wiring runs across. Ran the other wires along the passenger side fender well and plan to hide them neatly under and along the heater hoses. Then the ones that go back to the coil will follow the intake manifold. Really hoping interference isn’t a problem.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I put mine by the horn low sitting verticall tucked in the corner seems fine there no issues.

mikiec

Reaction score
While not in a RR. When I build a 65 cobra replica I placed the MSD unit inside on the firewall.

Back