• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need header recommendations

mopar69

Reaction score
Looking for a set of headers to put on my car-69 rr 440 with 440 source aluminum heads. What is the best bang for the buck and fit without having to modify. Looking for some sort of ceramic coating also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hunt2elk

Reaction score
TTi's with the C5 coating are a great header and fit perfectly. But of course are also the most costly. If you go that route, check with Bill at Chicago Connection. Great company and has the best pricing that I have found.

hunt2elk

Reaction score
I have a set of 1 7/8 on both a 451 and a 440 - both with 440 Source heads. I'm running 522 hp & 489 hp with these engines and went with TTi's size recommendation. I personally haven't used the 2", but have heard that they fit excellent also.

Collin

Reaction score
I just bought a set of 1 7/8" polished ceramic with thermal barrier for my 383, im running 495 hp (based on cam specs not dyno), factory cast iron intake, factory carter AVS.... spoke with their representative to make sure the horsepower matched the diameter and got the thumbs up.

quikbird

Reaction score
unless you have gone nutso on the port and polish and really opened up the head the 1 7/8 should work great. you should have a choice of manufacturers like hedmen, hooker dougs etc as well as tti.

Ranger

Reaction score
im running 495 hp (based on cam specs not dyno).

How did you figure that out? Is that something the manufacturer states or is there a calculator? I'm curious what the cam that the PO installed in mine is doing for me.

Collin

Reaction score
Based on the comp cam rating at the crank (won't know for sure unless we dyno). Cast iron heads (lots of
Work done), forged diamond brand pistons, Forged crank, hydraulic roller cam, carter carb.... The rep from TTI said if it was a stock 383. With the 336 horsepower to go smaller on the headers, but that the changes we made with the build that the 1 7/8" would be perfect

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I just bought a set of 1 7/8" polished ceramic with thermal barrier for my 383, im running 495 hp (based on cam specs not dyno), factory cast iron intake, factory carter AVS.... spoke with their representative to make sure the horsepower matched the diameter and got the thumbs up.

What are the cam specs? I'm sure it will be a good running motor but did you do anything to the heads, ignition or valve train? Did you deck the block? Any mods to the carb? Not trying to be critical but you cannot predict the horsepower by the cam specs. It takes a lot of fine machine work and a very good induction system to get 495 HP from a stock stroke 383 with a cast iron intake and 383 AVS with the small primaries. One way to get a better idea of HP is to run it at a drag strip. Weigh it and see what your best MPH will be. There is a way to calculate the horsepower based on weight of vehicle and mph in the 1/4 mile. With 495 HP, it should go over 115 mph in the 1/4 with open headers and around 110 mph with a decent free flowing exhaust system. Good luck with it.

image.jpg

Back