• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need replacement horn, is Classic Industries horn good?

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
My horn is very rough sounding, and I think the easiest thing to do is just replace rather than rebuild. Does anyone know if the Classic Industries replacement horn ($78 or so) is any good?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's probably like everything else these days when it comes to specialty parts for these old cars; only one manufacturer and 20 (or more) different distributors selling the exact same part.

Ranger

Reaction score
There is a little tiny adjustment knob on the horn. Have you tried playing with that?

jays69bird

Reaction score
IMO try to find a good used original. I have an aftermarket on mine I bought back in the early 90s. I never thought it sounded as good as the original horn.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
I actually ended up buying one from Classic and installing. It actually looked identical to the one I took out, which I assume was original. Even the little tuning wheel was dead on. Altho I don't know exactly what an original sounds like it does have the Meep Meep! sound pretty much perfect from what I can tell.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
There is a little tiny adjustment knob on the horn. Have you tried playing with that?
I actually did adjust it with that, but no difference. I think the horn was just toast and I replaced with the repo as noted in thread above. Seems to work great. Now if I can just get the engine to run as well. It's at the shop I'm letting them deal. This car hasn't really been on the road for at least 10 years.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The only real difference is the original is date coded and made in America. Not sure where the repops are from.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Same here. I saved the original but the replacement seems like a dead on match to my eye.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
It is, and I compared the graphic to what was on my horn (I'm particular about these things haha) and the repo graphic was very close to original. The probably scanned it. . . under a bridge. . . in China. Actually I don't know where the horn was made but seems like everything comes from China. They are pretty good at making stuff.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I see a real nice project car, but to each his own and I understand unrestored cars are a thing now. If you're interested in my old one let me know

Back