• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Negative battery cable...

CombatMedic80

Reaction score
Gents...

I am getting ready to replace my engine wiring harness and battery cables. I noticed that the negative battery cable that I have has a ground wire attached to it that secures to the radiator wall frame.

However, when looking at the original battery cables, none of them seem to have a built-in ground wire on them.
however, when looking at the original battery cables, none of them seem to have a built-in ground wire on them.

1.) Is the built in ground wire necessary?
2.) Is the built in ground wire strongly suggested?
3.) Pros/cons of keeping it or going to original cables?

One attached pic is of the cable with built in ground wire. The other pic is an original set up without.

BCE37327-2ED2-40D8-884C-2D7C2F32231D.jpeg

11F5477B-8E46-4BE0-8F09-03B81FD5F53A.jpeg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Believe they started using that cable in 1970 for sure not 1969

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
69 had cable that went to the head and was painted with engine so about half of it was engine color. Check ground cable from engine to body. Comes from rear of passenger head to frame.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just to say in restoring this car will run a ground wire through out the car. Had problem's with another car year's ago and ran a ground wire to the tail light's solved my problem.

Back