• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New hood holes for latch and second catch.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I was measuring off my old hood and checking the new hood to see if things where the same. Used the crease in the hood for a center line and things seem to be off. It is a 69 runner hood from AMD. When measuring from the latch to the secondary catch every thing is good. Thought I saw some forum on this subject. The only other thing I guess is wait and see if it all work's out but that would be bad to have it painted and have to drill new hole's and make it line up. If you guy's have any suggestion's it would be appreciated. Russ. :beep:After all I am gun shy after dealing with all the after market part's I have bought.

Rich B

Reaction score
Yikes, makes me think just hood pins would be an excellent plan. Would equate to lift off hood appeal and they actually work. TG for those heavy duty spring sets that lifted the hoods up the rest way lol.

And this: Ford was too dam cheap and this came with prop rod. Put SS Redline struts in- work like a shock absorber. Hood has double latch and hood pins are faux. But the hood vents real lmao.B4D69487-8E3F-42E3-88C8-7C313DF3E04D.jpeg My apologies if photo before posted.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Rich I was trying to get a handle on the location of the original mounting holes for the latch and secondary catch. My header panel is still off the car so will take and put every thing on it then check it between the old hood and the new hood. Will mark how it fit's the old one then check to see if it lines up on the new one. But maybe someone else has some ideas. Russ.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Hey Russ: Not sure why you have to drill new holes . My hood came from AMD and every thing bolted right up here a couple of Pic.75402244_2481338325265260_3278191916759384064_n.jpg 75603433_2481340465265046_2760917334213263360_n.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The thing was when measuring the old one thing's did not measure out the same on the new one. But like I said the header is off the car and will do a mock up with the old one then put it all on the new one. This should tell me if it is rite or wrong. Russ. Thanks for the input guys maybe over thinking it after all it would be bad to paint every thing and it be wrong. Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ho Ho. 69hemibeep very funny guy. But what has me is the tape measure dose not lie. I am cutting out a piece of paper today and making a pattern off the old hood then checking it on the new one. Some thing just don't measure up. Well will let you know. So I will move it to the front of the car OK. :kartman: Now for a cold one or two or three. BEER ASSISITANT now where the heck did she go!!!!!!!@$^^$&&

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well checking out the header against the hood with every thing mounted. The striker wont bolt up holes are not rite. The hood catch dose not work well on the new hood the holes are to far to the inside to get it to release. It is putting the header evenly in the new hood and it is off set some on the old hood. Now I am worried. I read some where that 68 was different than 69 for some reason. Guess I am calling AMD Monday. Darn it that is the way things go on these old car's I guess. You never know what has been replaced on these car's over the years. Russ.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Russ: I thing there may, I say May !! Be a difference. in hoods for 69, I am seem to remember I needed to know the build date off my RR.

droptop

Reaction score
You have a 68 and very early 69 production hood. They are different in exactly the same way you described. Call AMD or whom ever you it purchased from. They should have asked what year and production date your 69 is. Might be easier and cheaper to find a 68 upper grill support especially if you have done anything to the new hood and can’t exchange it.

TOMRR

Reaction score
If that is what you got Russ And early hood I will keep my eye out for the 68 hood latch support. Keep us posted on what you are going to do buddy !!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I am at my wits end. I will call AMD and the place I ordered the hood form. I have looked for a different header but nothing in classic industries. If their is enough backing metal the holes are drilled into maybe I can drill new hole's. Don't know if the car's made date is in the Vin number or not. I don't have a fender tag as you all know. Maybe this is the last bridge to cross so I can get this car done. Looks like the hinge bracket holes are rite. It is the same size and shape as my old hood no problem's their. You all know what a nightmare shipping this thing back is going to be. Well have a lot of other things to do till I get this resolved. Thanks for the info Guy's. Glad I don't do this for a living. Now we all know why it takes so long for body shops to restore these car's. Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
You have a 68 and very early 69 production hood. They are different in exactly the same way you described. Call AMD or whom ever you it purchased from. They should have asked what year and production date your 69 is. Might be easier and cheaper to find a 68 upper grill support especially if you have done anything to the new hood and can’t exchange it.
No have not done any thing to the hood except to measure and mount hard ware. Only could get one bolt in to the striker and the latch bolted up fine. The holes for the latch was only an inch from the inside of the metal and the old one is an inch and half. That is the difference except for the location's are off. I measured from out side lip of hood on both and confirmed it is wrong. Plus did a mock up. Appreciate the help and will get rite on it to day. To say the least I am up set with this. Russ.

Back