• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member from Southwest FL

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Hello bird lovers

I am new to your group. I hope I fit in. I am originally a C Body lover (large cars with lots of options) but realize I want to try something different. I started by looking at some E Body MOPAR. I went to see one at a dealer and sort of fell in love with a 68 Silver / Black Hemi Road Runner (AT, vinyl roof, radio, limited slip and not much more other than the common but not original chrome road wheels). I am interested in the car and am comparing against a red 68 Hemi bird (supposedly built for export but never exported) in Clearwater which has decor package but also shiny grille which I thought RR had blacked out. I also am comparing it to a 4 spd hemi bird car in PA which is also silver Hemi 1968. Also comparing to a 68 GTX 440 convertible with virtually all the power bells and whistles although I realize they are not the same.

If any of you can give me any hints on most important things to compare when deciding how much to pay for one and to judge authenticity. I don't want to buy something that is immediately worth far less than what I paid as I don't need the car that badly. My biggest adjustment is getting used to a car that has taxi cab style seats but is part of automotive history in a big way (hemi that is).

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If you are talking B body cars. If you have lived in Florida long you know that a PA car was subjected to salt on the road's are you looking a pic's. If it were me I would have to look at it in person. If it is a GTX it had a lot of chrome the Runner dose not have. Hard to give advise on price with out seeing the cars my self. Search the web and compare prices. This is the best I can do. See some here on the site for sale from time to time. So welcome to the site and have a lot of grate people here. Maybe some of the other guy's will have advice for ya. :welcome:

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. I should have provided more information on the cars I am comparing. The GTX looks solid but would have to get someone up there to look at it. It is a bit more than half the price of a hemi road runner so all factors have to be considered. I normally like cars with lots of options like the GTX but figured it might be too much like my 68 Chrysler 300 convertible.

Link for the 68 GTX is http://www.hanksters.com/1968-Plymouth-GTX/Used-AmericanMuscleCar/Indiana-PA/9184405/Details.aspx

Red hemi road runner was for sale on Ebay in Clearwater, FL but is now in an action Saturday afternoon in NC (supposedly built for export but never sent overseas).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Plymou...%3A8c7a4a7115d0aa146b589a16ffff5d81%7Ciid%3A1

The automatic transmission car I am looking at is linked here: http://www.hanksters.com/1968-Plymo...icanMuscleCar/Indiana-PA/9578519/Details.aspx

Another silver hemi in PA (4 speed car) is linked here: http://www.hanksters.com/1968-Plymo...icanMuscleCar/Indiana-PA/9578519/Details.aspx

Best wishes to all you experts who know far more about B Body cars than I do I had a 61 Chrysler 300G so am more familar with C Body and predecessor cars .

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You get into hemi cars and it becomes a numbers game, parts and money. The red car has allot of over the counter replacement parts but the price reflects it. If the ads do not say numbers matching motor, trans and so on you can assume they are not, its a bragging point and then double check them anyway. 68s should have blocks casted in 66 they made to many LOL

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome, and we love the C Bodies......but beware of Acme's bearing mustard......

quikbird

Reaction score
Welcome. Buy the car that appeals to you the most. All are collectables. Which one looks like the most fun?

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Welcome. Buy the car that appeals to you the most. All are collectables. Which one looks like the most fun?
Thank you. I like the looks of the silver / black 68 In Daytona with road wheels (I know that is not correct per the fender tag and for road runners in general) and the vinyl top (is factory ordered). For trim and interior, I prefer the decor package on the red one.

I also thought the grille of the hemi road runners was to be matte or nearly blacked out (the Daytona silver one is closer) where the red one has more of a Belvedere / Satellite grille (brighter).

I don't know if the red one that was supposedly built for export (if that can be confirmed) might sway my decision.

Naturally, the price might be the final decision.

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You get into hemi cars and it becomes a numbers game, parts and money. The red car has allot of over the counter replacement parts but the price reflects it. If the ads do not say numbers matching motor, trans and so on you can assume they are not, its a bragging point and then double check them anyway. 68s should have blocks casted in 66 they made to many LOL

Thank you for confirming the engine block number mystery in my mind for 1968 Hemi. The owner / dealer of the car in Daytona (silver / black) reminded me when I met with him last weekend that the motors for 1968 have a 66 date stamp as there were too many from 66 and they di dnot start making new ones again until later.

He came recommended to me by a guy from our neighborhood who bought a high end exotic car from him and has him do work on his car still. I guess the dealer guy spends lots of time at the customer's camp in PA as they both go back there and the customer is a harley dealer in PA. Thus, he should know a good "dealer" (if there is one) from a bad one.

chryslerfan

Reaction score

Another factor for me is the silver / black car in Daytona has a box in the trunk with various types of documentation and original carbs, etc. The box has envelopes of pictures from restoration era, Galin Govier report, dyno report, original sales slip, broadcast sheet, window sticker and various engine and other repair / restoration receipts. I am not sure the red one in Clearwater has that much documentation.

I know the silver / black one should have rubber floor covering but at present, after restoration, it has a black carpet.

chryslerfan

Reaction score
welcome, and we love the C Bodies......but beware of Acme's bearing mustard......

I don't mean to be stupid (but am at times) but not sure what Acme's bearing mustard is. Not sure if it is a joke about Wil E Coyote's various purchases from Acme in the cartoons or if it is something they put in motors to make them run well for awhile before they blow up (like sawdust in differentials used to keep them on the road until they could be sold). If Acme's bearing mustard is something I need to watch out for in real life, please let me know. You experts are smarter than me by a long shot but I love talking and researching cars, especially certain MOPAR varieties.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Acme is one of the original members from this site when it was a '69 site. His name is Ray and is from Florida as well. Long time site joke about him spilling mustard on a mopar shirt of his.

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Acme is one of the original members from this site when it was a '69 site. His name is Ray and is from Florida as well. Long time site joke about him spilling mustard on a mopar shirt of his.
Great. Thanks. I like good humor (even the ice cream) but did not pick up on that private joke about bearing mustard. Glad it is not something we put in the crankcase with the oil.

quikbird

Reaction score
Another long running conversation discusses the relative merits of blue or green colors for rr's. Especially since all enlightened people know yellow is far superior to both.

:poke:, :soapbox:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
which explains why there is only one on this site.......:icon_fU:

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Another long running conversation discusses the relative merits of blue or green colors for rr's. Especially since all enlightened people know yellow is far superior to both.

:poke:, :soapbox:
when relating this message about yellow birds to the prior message about bearing mustard, will any of the yellow birds be "mustard" yellow or is that bearing mustard more like Grey Poupon color. I like yellow cars but tend not to see many in yellow that I am now looking for. Maybe just my search for more local cars in FL. Best wishes to all you bird lovers and thank you for your help.

chryslerfan

Reaction score
As an aside, of the cars I linked earlier in this thread, I see from the auction direct live stream on Saturday, the red RR hemi did not sell in High Point NC (unless it was worked out after the auction closed on that car) as they owner hoped. Don't know if he will call me when he gets home about having me to check it out or not to compare to the silver / black one I saw last weekend in Daytona.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
" is that bearing mustard more like Grey Poupon color."
HemiBeep is part of the Grey Poop crowd....

Coyote

Reaction score
The great thing about yellow cars is that you can make extra bucks by putting a blade and beacon on them and pushing snow in the winter. Pretend you are a state salt truck.

Back