• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New project

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Maybe not real big news for you lucky guys who live in the land of big blocks, but I picked myself up a bare 383 with some 906 heads for $600. Not too many floating around down here, so I had a mate pick this one up for me interstate. Hopefully things ease up soon and Ill grab it off him when I get down there for a visit.

Thinking real hard about putting a 4.150 stroker crank in it at .040 over - should bring it to about 480 cubic inches.

Would appreciate any input from any of you who may have gone down a similar route.

383.jpg

RonLiv

Reaction score
I've been talking with a guy in Georgia who has 4-383HP blocks, all look to have 68 casting dates and are orange. He's looking to sell. From the pictures I saw they look really rough, dirty and possibly frozen, nothing like the one pictured above. I've asked him to pull the serial numbers to see what they came from. If they look interesting I'll post them. I'm always looking to see if my numbers block is around somewhere or the one from my car back in the 70's.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
These block are getting harder to find for sure even in the states. Just got one from Michigan shipped to me stock bore. Hope it is buildable. Nice motor RKNRLR.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Mine either came out of59-61 Desoto, 59-64 Dodge, or a 60-64 plymouth. Casting number is rare 1851 1829, had to look for a little while to find it. Crank is the early style 8 bolt, Im thinking possibly pickup or big C body car?

Take a look at the stroker kits here. http://440source.com
Ive Heard the kits are fair priced, but maybe not the best quality? 383 Casting number.jpg

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Unless your using the same era transmission, the crank is useless,, I have one that came out of a fury with an automatic, the torque converter bolts directly to the crank from what I remember, no flex plate! This model crank is longer

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Lukcily for me, the crank is going straight to the bottom of the sea! was always planning to stroke it. I thought $600 was not bad for the block and bare heads. Might try and flog off some of the rest of the spares to put towards the new internals.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Project update -
I think I may have found a truck to drop this 383 into, its a 72 D200. Problem is, the D200 is currently running a 318 with a 727. From my understanding, the small block 727's are not compatible with big blocks.
Ive read all kinds of info on swaps - you need special motor mounts, possible k-frame swap... etc. Anybody done this swap that could point me in the right direction before I buy this truck and end up way too far down the rabbit hole?
I have a spare 4 speed lying around, it looks as though that box may get the nod if its way too much effort to get the current 727 to work.

Truck will ideally be a daily driver, nothing too crazy, definitley no show truck.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
440source.com has the motor mount brackets and oil pan on there site, since its 2wd I'd look into using the 4 speed, there not too bad to change over, find the pedals , etc

Back