• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the Forum but a few years in on the hobby

Zizzinator

Reaction score
Hey y'all, Just joined up a few days ago.
It was mentioned on a request for info post I made, that I should provide some info on my project and share a little.

Like everyone on here, my baby girl is a Roadrunner. 1969 2 door hard top, with a nice healthy 383 4bbl, and a TKO500 for the overdrive. She's running 3.91's in a basic 8.75" in the rear with one of the last sets of aluminum Slotted Mags made by Stockton wheels. Front and rear disc brakes from Master power brakes with a basic bucket seat console interior. Side note btw, MP brakes was one of the first places I learned the lesson that any advertisement that says "it will bolt on with no cutting or modification needed" is complete bulls***. It goes right up there with "universal" and "fits most vehicles like yours". One of MANY lessons learned. She's no number matching rare find, and I have no intention of turning her into either a trailer queen or road rashed beater that every hick on the side of the road screams "Dukes Hazard hells yeah bruthuuur!!". She'll be clean, she'll be driven, and she'll be loved.

Right now I'm in the home stretch for body work. She's got body filler where one would expect it,and she's got patches where she needs them. After 2 coats of epoxy primer, and 1 coat (so far) of high build G2 feather fill, she's straight as an arrow and just needs a little more to go before she's ready for color and clear.

I drove this car to highschool, and when I went off to college I counted the days before I was able to visit my parents where she was stored to drive it more. She was my general, do stupid s*** and have a fun car that after coming up on 10 years will finally be back together. Like most, I've got horror stories spanning the whole project, even some hard won wisdom from the world of dealing with restoration shops.
I've been screwed hard and I've done my fair share of telling folks "you know what? never mind I'll just do it myself and not waste the money or time"

Some pics through the years
Before tearing her apart (front bumper removed)

292.JPG
Wheels
101.JPG
Engine after rebuilding it and right before bringing her up for dyno test.
DSCF1193.JPG
Rear Axle rebuilt. still need to replace the breather valve cap.
DSCF1294.JPG
A and B Pillar replacement. Before they were replaced it looked like someone had taken a sawzaw or deathwheel to the panels to slice the roof off and they just booger welded it back in place. Long story behind this but suffice to say, this was the first shell... I'm on a second (no I wasn't the one who Fubar'd this job)
10602.jpeg
Current body after the first coat of Featherfill in the home made paint booth. A and B pillars were not replaced. Only needed floor and rocker work on this one thankfully.
KIMG1545.JPG

DSCF1325.JPG

10693.jpeg

DSCF1421.JPG

upload_2020-5-27_18-58-58.jpeg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes look's like you have learned a lot also. Those A pillars rot of under the upper cowl. Have had to do pretty much the same to this car. Lot of hack work found on it also. Also a hole lot of Bond O where their should have been metal. Your rite why pay someone to F it up your doing a grate job and love the paint booth. If you haven't got it build it. Love seeing what and how other guy's are making these runner's grate again. Like you mine will not be a racer but want a dependable driver. But a little burn out once in a while might just happen. Keep up the good work and I feel you pain. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I don't know.
Looks like it might be "too nice to drive" to me.
(That's a back handed compliment meant to be humorous.)
And who in the world would confuse a Road Runner with one of those cliche Chargers?
(Also meant to be humorous).

Zizzinator

Reaction score
Nice work so far! Are you going back with the same color she was before?
Yup, though finding the color and getting it made is going to be fun. When i had it scanned before the whole strip down the paint store came up with Landrover Tangier Orange 761. I literally just got back from a paint store in my area who had paint chips and that color is a little dark.
Only other code I had to work with was the name "omaha orange" and some old MET paint codes. The store near me is going to mix up some pint samples and I'll spray a few prepped pieces to test em' out and see which is closest.

I don't have a fender tag or build sheet, and honestly as long as it reminds me of the original orange I grew up with it having, then that'll be close enough. Not like I'm paint matching a fender to an already painted body.

Zizzinator

Reaction score
I don't know.
Looks like it might be "too nice to drive" to me.
(That's a back handed compliment meant to be humorous.)
And who in the world would confuse a Road Runner with one of those cliche Chargers?
(Also meant to be humorous).
HAHA no worries :D

Already ran the route of "too nice to drive" with the superbee resto done. It took a chip in the front end clear coat (about the size of a pencil eraser) before my old man was able to actually put his foot to the floor with the accelerator and not freak out about road debris messing with the pristine paint.
I figure if I can prep the body enough to not end up with an orange peel'd finish that looks like it was done with a rattle can under a shedding tree in the backyard then I've accomplished my goals.

You'd be surprised the things people have shouted at me while I was driving her around XD. Everything from "DUKES!!" to some guy in a Walmart parking lot saying "Wow is that the car from Starsky and hutch?!" (nearly threw up from that one)

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Yup, though finding the color and getting it made is going to be fun. When i had it scanned before the whole strip down the paint store came up with Landrover Tangier Orange 761. I literally just got back from a paint store in my area who had paint chips and that color is a little dark.
Only other code I had to work with was the name "omaha orange" and some old MET paint codes. The store near me is going to mix up some pint samples and I'll spray a few prepped pieces to test em' out and see which is closest..

Check PPG... isn’t that what Graceyard Cars uses and it seems they have the high impact Mopar colors on file.

Back