• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

not as much fun as it used to be....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
so the 5 speed in the truck has been making some nosies for a while. Didn't really know how intense these noises were until the weather got warm enough to drive around with the windows down. Definatly on borrowed time. So, I've still got the black truck my Uncle gave me. body is totally shot,kept it around for spares and the warmed over 318. Been wanting to put the 318 in the red truck anyway, so with this being my one weekend off a month I figured I'd dive into thing. Figured with fours days I could get both engines out, and the 318/girlymatic in the red truck and be good to go. Well that didn't get as far as planned. Finished up my 7 daylights Thursday, so I was really wanting to sleep in Friday. Then I had to take The Boss to her eye doc at 1, so no sense starting anything. Then we went grocery shopping. didn't get in the garage till after 5. By 9 I had the engine/trans ready to pull(more or less). Got back out before noon Staurday, and got them out. Now I need to get the V6 and 5 speed out of the other truck. After getting up and down for two days, I've got achey muscles, and as much ambition as Paw Kettle. I'm on midnights this week so it looks like I'll be driving the Intrepid to work since It'll be nice enough for The Boss to have her VW out.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
probaly none of the younger guys have ever heard of Maw & Paw Kettle.
And it's not the work, it's the getting up and down!

PTDC0004c.JPG

PTDC0006c.JPG

PTDC0001c.JPG

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm too young to remember Pa Kettle...please explain... :basketcase:

I hear ya, Dave. I rebuilt the front end and redid the brakes on my SS/T a couple of weekends ago. Got a pinched nerve and have been struggling with numbness/burning sensation/shooting pains in my right arm since... Seems to be slowly getting better. Haven't felt too motivated since... Getting older just plain sucks.

Good luck with finishing it up. :cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and the two whel drive sure doesn't shove dead weight around on wet grass like my old Power Wagons did.

PTDC0005c.JPG

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
have been struggling with numbness/burning sensation/

better get to the clinic for that Ray..... :groucho:

Steve

Reaction score
Hey Dave,thanks for this post.About 3 months ago the felt on my shed roof was torn to shreds in high winds and with the shed being real old and largely rotton I decided I'd tear it down rather than refelt it.I cleared it out only a few days ago and it was still standing as I always found an excuse like watching sports all day or too much tea to drink.When I get home from work I'm always too tired,always find a reason to do it another day.
Reading your post about how much grafting you've been doing these past few days however,shamed me into moving my ass and I've pulled it down today,thanks for the motivation icon_salut.gif

joewhite440

Reaction score
Pa always had the two Indians Geoduck and Crowbar to do his work for him. He would always tell Ma "I'll get to that" and then he would pause and say "someday". Hilariousness shows and my Mother always called my dad Pa Kettle. I think my Dad could watch paint dry!
He worked 48 Years in the Steel Mill and is a great provider. He had us 3 sons as his Indians! I just laugh when Mom gets after him! Good luck on your project Dave!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
right after I got the engine/trans out of the black truck, I got to dig up the spetic tank so I could get it pumped out. thought that was all done with, and had to dig out the inlet hatch, cause the pipe from the house to the tank was plugged. Had to use a snake and the hose. I think I found evey piece of TP that this house went thru in the last year. You city boys are really missing out on some fun....
so this little diverson put me behind, but I did get the V6 & 5 speed out of my red truck. Then back to work. Hope to get back at the truck my next days off.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well Joe, that sure didn't happen. Got the 318/trans in the truck Saturday. by that I mean just sitting in the truck. couldn't get the motor mounts to line up, then I had to get cleaned up and head to work. then it rained the next couple of days so I didn't mess with it. was off yesterday and today, so I figured I'd get a lot done. turns out I just shoulda went downstairs and played withthe trains. Couldn't get the mounts to line up, so I started measuring. shoulda done that first. Seems that Chrysler, in their sense of humor, put the motor mounts on the crossmember of the V6 trucjs about 4" farther back than the V8 trucks. :facepalm: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :soap: so My Uncle's gonna be doing some fab work.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well my uncle stopped by yesterday. things aren't as bad as I first thought. The passenger side motor mount lined up. (amazing what fresh eyes can do) Unc's gonna fab up a new bracket for the driver's side. I checked the trans mount, and it needs a piece added, stuck the driveshaft in, and all's good there. I think it all boils down to the 21 turn, not feeling like messing with this stuff because of the different turns. Did get the steering columns changed, swapped out the dash wiring(saw a few different plug ends between the years) and the intrument cluster.
And as my beloved Mrs so enjoyingly keeps reminding me "you're not 20 anymore". Now I was sure not to crack wise when she hit the century mark. guess I'm not getting the same respect :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
:basketcase: I use to crawl under a car with the wrench I needed and oh well that one was wrong. Today I slowly slither under the car with any possible extra tool I might need and get all pissed off when I forget something :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
:basketcase: I use to crawl under a car with the wrench I needed and oh well that one was wrong. Today I slowly slither under the car with any possible extra tool I might need and get all pissed off when I forget something :lol:
I do that too. And sometimes I bring the right tools with me!! :lol:

69B5

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Well Bob and Steve, I'd say you are doing well, only forgetting tools.
When I slither and wedge myself under one of my cars, I often forget what the H--- I crawled under there for!
The up side of that is I don't need any tools. lol

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i would be doing the same thing......as you age you kinda forget.....is that a 1/2 inch or 9/16......then you just bring a shitload of tools with ya
then i got even smarter.....installed a lift :lol:

Back