• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O/D

RKNRLR

Reaction score
From what i can see, most of you guys take the Passon performance 5-speed to be the ants pants.

Just wondering what you guys think of the Gear vendors bolt-on OD? anyone have any experience/know anyone who's used it?

Any help or experience much appreciated!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
George uses one behind a very beefy hemi and likes it. The deal with the Passos 5 speed is no cutting nessesaary

RKNRLR

Reaction score
from what little i've read so far on them, they "may" require some "strategic taps" with a hammer to the tunnel to squeeze it in. This was on a duster though, they mentioned it should be slightly easier on a B-body. Id really like to leave the car intact as much as possible.

quikbird

Reaction score
according to the gearvender rep there is some massaging of the trans tunnel required. also means custom driveshaft needed.

Coyote

Reaction score
A ton of Drag Week racers use ‘em. GearVendors used to be a Drag Week sponsor, don’t know if they still are. The units are very durable.

A kool feature is that you can “split” the available gears. In my first youth (high school)a couple of “weeks” ago I had a ‘53 Brand “F” 6 cylinder with overdrive. Second gear overdrive would wind “forever” and was a circus to use!

I did consider a unit, but the Passon 5 gear impressed me no end when I saw one in person at the Nats. IMHO its the only way to go!:thumbsup::beep:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ok but what is the price difference between the two. Maybe cutting a drive shaft is not that expensive. It was not back in the day. Think any drive line company can do it.

Coyote

Reaction score
Just about any driveline company can shorten one. We have several here (Columbus, OH). I had an aluminum one built for my ‘55 (since sold). Price was not cheap. I consider it value received. Exquisite tig welding on it.

Neither one is inexpensive! You pays your money and takes your choice. Good Luck!
:beep:

quikbird

Reaction score
passon 5 gear is $5600, includes shifter but need shifter handle and knob, gearvender is I think just under $3000. new driveshaft is about $400. so yes overdrive is probably cheaper but needs more work to get to fit. also changes the driveshaft angle because it extends the tranny housing in a straight line which leaves less room to adjust to the differential. angles will be a bit larger on u joints.

Coyote

Reaction score
You may need to use wedge plates under rear axle mounts to try and correct drive line angle.

If angle is too far off, severe driveline vibration can result. Extreme angles can really affect u joint longevity.

Back