• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil on valley pan

sax69

Reaction score
Hello Guys, Newbie here.
Just got my rr back from a restoration. I noticed today a pool of oil sitting on the valley pan of the newly rebuilt engine (383). I did change the oil yesterday but do not think I spilled any.
Any Idea what I should look for?

Thanks

droptop

Reaction score
:banana: :banana: :banana: Another DROPTOP!!!!!!

Welcome from Southern Indiana. Please show and tell us more about your car. Wipe the oil out as best that you can just to make sure it is not from spillage. If it comes back, change the valley pan.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Looks like a really nice RR you have there. How about sharing some more details?

:jester:
ACME

sax69

Reaction score
Bought it in 1986 when I was 15 years old. Drove it throughout high school. It was garaged in 92 and there until a year ago when I sent it out for restoration.
When I bought the car it had a 4 speed in it but was an original auto which is how I put it back. It's 383 car with A/C.
Car is by no means done. I wanted a nice driver and that is what I now have. It is a real Road Runner but I misplaced the fender tag about 15 years ago (Insert cuss words here).
I am located just east of St. Louis. (not however East St. Louis :)

mcmopar

Reaction score
No, the sending unit is below and behind the valley pan on the back of the block. Its probably coming from either a bad seal on the ends or at the intake/head surface. As already mentioned, clean it up and run the car to see if you can locate the origin of the leak. If not, remove the intake manifold and carefully remove the valley pan gasket. If it isn't damaged you can reseal the valley pan with some silicon sealer on both sides and bolt it back down. If it is the original valley pan gasket go ahead and get a new one and install it. Back in the day Chrysler just bolted them down without any sealer but I prefer a light bead of silicon on both sides. :cents:

That's a beauty of a car, BTW.

solid gold

Reaction score
Welcome from Saint Louis, Missouri! Very nice Vert! Look forward to seeing ya' in the spring over there! Can always use another Mopar in attendance! :thumbsup:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Any milling done on the heads? Maybe not going to seal w/o the fiber gaskets. If no milling, I never could get the fiber gaskets in place.

If you need a new gasket, be sure to run the blocked heat riser f you have an aluminum intoake. Usually have to order that kind in.

Back