• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original equipment Carter AVS or aftermarket new Carb?

Reaction score
I'm new to the site and don't pretend to be a mechanic. I wanted to get some advice, I bought my 69 Road Runner 4sp about one year ago. It has a Carter AFB Competition Series carb that has no choke. Should I buy a 1969 AVS 4615s used and have it refurbished or go with a new aftermarket carb. I've read some bad things about the Carter and don't want to waste my $$ on it if it won't last. I purchased my first RR in 69 and put 35,000 miles on it with no troubles. Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Carters just have it done right and tested on a mule motor. If you are not after the original look then the after market or fuel inject it with Fi Tech or Holley

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, my 383 RR has a Carter 4638. I've had the car 13 years now and I have no complaints, the car has always run well with it.

Reaction score
Thanks, it is a numbers matching car and am trying to get it back to as close to original as possible. You are confirming the way I preferred to go. Appreciate all of your expertise and time. Now my 2nd question, the fender tag shows a build date of January 69, the Carb that I've found for sale is coded April 69. Obviously not a match but what are the odds of finding a 4615s that is date coded closer to Jan 69. Would you wait and keep looking or grab this one? I know this is a question only I can answer but would appreciate any input.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Unless you're going for high level judging it won't make a difference. As long as it's the right number for your engine and it's in good condition I say grab it.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I should have added that that's just my opinion, I'm sure others might not agree. And I forgot to mention it would be a good idea to rebuild that carb, and be sure it's complete, no parts missing.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So who to say. I see on TV these car builders put all kind's of motor's in restored cars and put air ride. Lower them rise them and still get a lot of money for these car's. Yea if you go to a car show and the judges are looking at original every thing then go their. Wish you luck on the hunt. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am pretty much a traditionalist. Like many of you, I grew up with these cars and back then everybody had headers and other bolt on horsepower getters. The car is mostly correct and I prefer doing what I can to keep it that way. Not really doing this for anyone but me. I appreciate everyone's input. Really like tapping into everyone's opinion. Great forum

Back