• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts supply

Andy

Reaction score
im from Australia and asking if there is a preferred supplier for body parts etc Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
AMD is about the best I know of. Have heard that some of the other company's metal is thinner in gauge. I used AMD and still had some issues with sheet metal part's. To short in some area's and too long in other's. I have a 69 runner and where the quarter sail panel lip's over the inner structure where the back glass lay's in had to bend it out and bend it back in to gain clearance their. You will need a piece of metal to cut pieces from to weld on. The drop down's were also short to match the wheel well and where it attached to the quarter. So had to add metal their also. Tail light buckets had to be tweaked some to fit rite. So get ready to learn metal fab work. Those parts after stamped out relax after time. Also will say the molds are not keep to specks during pressing out so many part's they lose some of their original shapes. Don't know how many thousands of part's they have stamped out over the year's. I here that their is and issue with the new front fender's but I had original fender's and they where not in too bad of shape. So the new doors I bought from AMD seem to be fine. Beware that the bolt holes on the front door jamb pillar have metric thread's you will have to tap them to American thread. Don't know how far you are going with replacing metal on the car. I replace upper and lower cowl on this car I have and will tell you only do one piece at a time and measure a lot. Take lot's of pictures before starting to replace parts. You will assemble and take part's off a lot. That is what take a lot of time to get the proper fitment. Floor pan is not to bad it fit pretty well. Trunk pan was short on one side and long on the other so had to cut off one side and weld it back to the other side. I have replaced inner frame where the rain gutter's welded too. I was the drive's side and had to find a donor one to put it back in. Their was nothin to weld too. So it depends how bad the car shape is in. Just take your time and it will all work out. Russ. If you look in body. trim and interior at my past post will see some of my work. :thumbsup2:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey dmartin. I bought something from classic and upon arrival it was in a classic box. As I opened it their was an AMD box in side. That pretty well did it for me. I paid a lot more for shipping form Ca. Than if I had bought it from AMD. What is it Tazmar sell body panels. But I was told that the metal was a much thinner than AMD metal. 18 gauge from AMD and around 20 for the other ones. 18 Gauge is what the metal on the runner is. If you go through Classic they have the restores choice which is thicker metal and the stander on is the thinner. It is all made in Taiwan. Also if you get it strip all the shipping coating off it and prime it your self. I found fishers under the coating it was shipped with. Which is rust. Also found that it is primed with Lacquer paint and not epoxy. So don't trust it try lacquer thinner on it and you will find out what it is.

Last edited:

droptop

Reaction score
Russ, Year One and Classic Industries are just brokers that add to the cost by adding 10-50% of the cost of the part plus doubling the shipping charges. I always research and try to buy from the supplier any time I can.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is what I did droptop. I was getting my body part's from Auto Body Specialties Inc. Yes they are a Retailer but a lot less than Classic. Being shipped form Middlefield CT. As you know AMD is just down the road from them. I tried to by direct from AMD and found I could not get it as cheap as going through their Retailers. This was due to volume. But like I said Tazmar is not AMD and the metal quality is not to spec's like AMD. The metal part's they turn out are thinner. Are not good quality so I was told by many people. Now a body shop is in it for profit and will use what they can get to make the most profit. After buying three quarter's of this runner sheet metal learned a lot. Just to say I have a lot of part's from Classic and glad they had what I wanted. But when it came to price of shipping looked to other sources for the parts. Your rite on it droptop and I agree with you what they add to the cost of what they are selling. Russ.

Andy

Reaction score
AMD is about the best I know of. Have heard that some of the other company's metal is thinner in gauge. I used AMD and still had some issues with sheet metal part's. To short in some area's and too long in other's. I have a 69 runner and where the quarter sail panel lip's over the inner structure where the back glass lay's in had to bend it out and bend it back in to gain clearance their. You will need a piece of metal to cut pieces from to weld on. The drop down's were also short to match the wheel well and where it attached to the quarter. So had to add metal their also. Tail light buckets had to be tweaked some to fit rite. So get ready to learn metal fab work. Those parts after stamped out relax after time. Also will say the molds are not keep to specks during pressing out so many part's they lose some of their original shapes. Don't know how many thousands of part's they have stamped out over the year's. I here that their is and issue with the new front fender's but I had original fender's and they where not in too bad of shape. So the new doors I bought from AMD seem to be fine. Beware that the bolt holes on the front door jamb pillar have metric thread's you will have to tap them to American thread. Don't know how far you are going with replacing metal on the car. I replace upper and lower cowl on this car I have and will tell you only do one piece at a time and measure a lot. Take lot's of pictures before starting to replace parts. You will assemble and take part's off a lot. That is what take a lot of time to get the proper fitment. Floor pan is not to bad it fit pretty well. Trunk pan was short on one side and long on the other so had to cut off one side and weld it back to the other side. I have replaced inner frame where the rain gutter's welded too. I was the drive's side and had to find a donor one to put it back in. Their was nothin to weld too. So it depends how bad the car shape is in. Just take your time and it will all work out. Russ. If you look in body. trim and interior at my past post will see some of my work. :thumbsup2:
Thanks for all you help,probably go through Year One as AMD do not ship my way

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Andy Try Auto Body Specialties. They where the ones that I got all my AMD part's through. Year one is one of the highest and slow. Or try Body shop price LLC. Brian is the guy's name their. They are both on the web. Russ.

Back