• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCV Replacement (Simple Job Right)

mikerr

Reaction score
I just wanted to share what happened to me last week while trying to remove my PCV from the passenger side valve cover on my 383. The PCV would not come out of the rubber grommet in the valve cover for nothing! I thought that maybe there was a bolt or something holding it in on the other side of the valve cover, but after removing the valve cover and inspecting the other side I found a splash shield preventing me from seeing the other side of the PCV. I did a little research and examined the replacement PCV and original factory part online and was convinced that nothing could be holding it into the valve cover but friction. I then decided I would go to town on the PCV and pull it out with force. I sprayed the rubber grommet with PB and let it sit to soften up the rubber. After about 10 min or so I used my vise grip attachment on my slide hammer to clamp down on the nut of the PCV and after 3 slaps it came right out ! Inspecting the removed PCV I could see that the metal PCV must have melted the rubber grommet in the valve cover and sealed itself in as a result of the engine heat. For all I know this could have been the original PCV. The area around the PCV which inserts into the rubber grommet in the valve cover had a nice coat of rubber melted to it. I was able to save the original grommet; but I replaced the PCV with a plastic one instead of the metal factory PCV to prevent this from happening again. Hopefully this post helps others if they have this issue since I ended up wasting about 2 hours playing with the PCV and researching online ! The moral of the story....don't worry about using force to pull out the PCV if it will not come out.

mikerr

Reaction score
Its possible but the grommet looked clean on the inside and did not have anything sticking to it. Who knows; but its out now and the new PCV is in. Because of all the playing around with the PCV and grommet I ended up having to touch up the valve covers too. In the end the valve covers look better then when I started and I have new valve cover gaskets installed now too with no oil leaks !

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my valve covers don't leak....now the front seal....

Ranger

Reaction score
Hmm, my PCV valve is plastic and I was thinking I should replace it with a metal one. Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey mikerr might try JB blaster next time it work's pretty good to get some thing's to loosen up but you might have to wait a while. Got my metal one from summit racing. Good looking car can't wait till I get mine done.

criner28

Reaction score
Glad I found this. I’m having the same problem removing my pcv. The grommet is as hard as a rock, didn’t realize it was rubber. So it just takes force. Thanks for this information, I like you, have spent a lot of time researching this before finding this post.

road robert

Reaction score
Mikerr - I just posted a new thread about valve cover fasteners - are your ALL 12 bolts or do you have 8 bolts + 4 nuts?

CompSyn

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my original Mopar part number PCV grommet and metal PCV. It was in there solid as a rock, would not budge. Simple solution... Heat it up with a heat gun. The old rubber softens up and the valve comes right out. Hey! It worked for me.

:thumbsup2:

Last edited:
Back