• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petty Blue '68 Discussion

1968 man

Reaction score
I just want to say I purchased an iron manifold from this guy. It came as advertised. Very well packaged and in a timely manner. Thank you Randy for a seamless transaction.
Hey doctor any info on how many petty blue 68 road runners were produced ? mine is a automatic with the 383.IMG_4832.JPG

doctordodge

Reaction score
Production numbers are not readily available. There is a ton of myth and legend about them. I know of 6 remaining for sure. There must be more out there. A fellow in South Dakota bought a former drag car and when sandblasting many layers of different colors off of it he found Petty Blue to be the original. There is one in New Zealand as well. My car is a late January '68 build. Under the package tray behind the rear seat should be a grease pencil marking indicating the sequence number. For example, mine reads " SP Paint 999 Blue-3". From an old Motor Trend article, I believe the first ten went to Petty Enterprises. 9 383 cars and one Hemi. Any car built after February of that year would have been an advertising thing to promote the NASCAR image. They would pull them off the line in small batches and hand paint them. Most were sold in the Southern states where the sport was hugely popular. Mine came out of Georgia right around Dawsonville. It is pretty optioned out with the Décor Package, wheelhouse mouldings and a show car finish paint job. Although its not so shiny anymore, it is shown on the broadcast sheet. Yours is gorgeous, Was there a red or black longitudinal pinstripe originally? I thought that was a common trait as well.

1968 man

Reaction score
IMG_3387.JPG IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3011.JPG IMG_3236.JPG Thanks for the compliment I worked on this thing for years to get to were its at today I purchased mine from the original owner and it had no stripe . They bought it in N. C. when new .I have lots of pictures before and after the restore .do you have any pictures of yours you could post ? I love mine its a head turner.

Back