• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot shaft bushing

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Oh the drama never ends. Looks like the short block I got with my 68 roadrunner will not accept the pilot shaft bushing. Probably was an automatic engine from the factory? You guys are the experts, so tell me what I should do. Do I shop around for a pilot shaft bushing that will match the crank and the 833 tranny? The one I got for it of course is too large to fit the crankshaft, but does fit the tranny shaft. Or, should I have one built? What is easier? Don't tell me to tear the engine down............please.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You have two options. Have the crank drilled or put a roller bearing in where the torque converter snout would go. I think Brewers has the bearing but you also have to cut part of the nose of the input off to fit

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I got one on Ebay a .955 bushing I think it was and it worked, I did emery cloth it down a tiny bit and don't hold me to the .955 number but I could look at my spare tonight

Meep-Meep

Reaction score
Yep, if the hole isn't drilled deep enough you will need to take an abrasive wheel and clip the end of the input shaft off. Problem is I don't recall how much but it's significant and the result is the pilot bushing rids on the very tip. The cranks are usually bored to fit the bushing (.955" sounds right) just not drilled deep enough. Ideally you would drill the crank but make a stop for the drill bit so you don't drill into the oil cross drilled hole in the rear journal - unless you want pressure fed oil to the pilot bushing :facepalm:

I heard people using that newer style bushing in case that hole isn't bored to size and that's exactly what you should do in that case. Don't try to bore the hole to size unless you can get the crank in a lathe. Rather use that new style bushing.

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Called Brewers Performance first thing this morning, they are shipping me the correct bearing. In this case the bearing will fit the larger hole in the crank, and depending on what year the crankshaft is, I might need to shorten the tranny shaft, but there is a chance the pilot hole is drilled deep enough. I don't plan on drilling, but should not take much to shorten the shaft. Thanks guys, got it covered (until the next incident). Was going to drop the engine and tranny in last weekend, but one week won't kill me. Still waiting for exhaust parts anyways. :drama:

droptop

Reaction score
This roller bearing is used in '99 Dakota manual transmission trucks. Available at your local parts store.

Back