• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poor alignment

jeigen

Reaction score
hi, have not posted before. I have 69 roadrunner, 383 4 speed. Tubular upper control arms, hotchkis tie rods. I cannot keep the alignment in check. I have adjusted the toe and camber multiple times and as soon as I drive it less than one block, it is all out of alignment. Any thoughts or suggestions?

jeigen

Reaction score
this car has 2000 miles on it. Everything is new. I just had it professionally aligned. Drove it for 2 miles and it is out of adjustment.

Carl Ray

Reaction score
Define out of alignment. You test drive it, put it back on the rack and it's out of spec? Or, you get it aligned and it pulls one way or another stll.

jeigen

Reaction score
I drove it about 2 miles and the passenger side now has too much negative camber, the drivers side has too much toe-in. So much so that the tires squeal when driving it. I have brand new tie rod ends(heim joints), and new adjusters. when I back the car up, it appears the alignment moves back to where it was. This was a total resto with only 2k miles on it. Seems like something must be loose, but all suspension parts are tight.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have you checked the upper control arm adjustment bolts. Maybe they are not thigh enough. If they are moving, then would change things on the lower end.

jeigen

Reaction score
All suspension components have been checked and found to be tight. The only possible exception might be the kmember bolts have loosened up. I plan to retorque them.

Carl Ray

Reaction score
I would double check bolts holding steering box to K Member, they may be loose which could cause toe to change. Retorque the strut rods on both ends. If you replaced upper control arm bushings, they may be too loose and spinning in control arm, I have heard of this issue recently. Are all the ears present on the upper control arm eccentrics? Otherwise, if everything is tight, nothing is going to move.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
hi, have not posted before. I have 69 roadrunner, 383 4 speed. Tubular upper control arms, hotchkis tie rods. I cannot keep the alignment in check. I have adjusted the toe and camber multiple times and as soon as I drive it less than one block, it is all out of alignment. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was having the same issue with my double adjustable SPC UCA I got the QA1 adjustable strut rods and that made all the difference. Allows the lateral adjustments to the LCA to bring everything to the correct alignment. With out the strut rods your wont be able to get to the sweat spot.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Figure it out?

V.R.D

Reaction score
i have read this post some where else you need to take this to a frame shop and torq all jam nuts if the bolts are moving or there might be cracking in the uper support for the control arm . or take it all apart to inspect if you know how ? have you checked the lower control arm bushing if the rubber is coming apart it will change all the time.

torredcuda

Reaction score
Are the tubular uppers adjustable or fixed and still using the factory eccentric bolts?If using the factory eccentrics mark the position to see if they move.

Back