• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pump gas?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have been hired to put a original owner 68 runner together, it was given to her new in 68 as a graduation gift. Her husband pulled quite a bit of the car apart and then passed away three years ago and she is quite excited to get it back on the road. My first question is the 383 is #s match to the car and she wants to run pump gas. I just checked and it is zero deck flat top pistons with 906 heads that have never been milled. With a standard felpro gasket which I think is 40 thousands and a cam slightly larger than stock. Will it ping?

DSCN5669.jpg

DSCN5670.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
better be plenty of...:redx: great thing you helping this lady out Bobby. Shame about her hubby.I imagine being a desert car it's solid. what are the particulars? Since it's a girls car it must have a girlymatic and p/s.....:D
I've never had any pinging issues on pump gas with my stuff. Might be regional though. The 318 in my truck came from my uncle's old truck. He put a MP intake,new Edelbrock carb,and a MP cam one step above stock, with duals, and he had to run premium to keep it from pinging. From the first day i started to run that truck to it being in my current truck, i run the cheapest stuff i can find, and has never pinged.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Power steering, Auto, bench, deluxe interior 56,000 miles, all #s match. The engine is in the back of my truck needing completed, I need to pull part of the short block down to see if it was done right.

Last edited:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, all of my cars are in stock form and I use regular gas and I've never had any pining.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
My 383hp ran fine on 87 bone stock before I pulled it out for the 493. Should be fine but dial in the timing once your ready. Just take the timing up to the point of pining and then back it off that will be your total all in ° 10-12 initial. Higher octane is of course better.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I was thinking the thicker gasket and a little more overlap on the cam might make it even friendlier

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, all of my cars are in stock form and I use regular gas and I've never had any pining.

That's right George! The car has always ran fine with it. Admittedly it doesn't get the full power potential but since I don't race it or beat on all that hard it works for me. And when I had someone tune it for me he took the regular gas into consideration when he set the timing.

earlyrides

Reaction score
As long as you are redoing the engine; you might as well put in the parts and machining into the heads to run unleded fuel.
If she runs premium she can probably have a decent amount of power without pinging as long as you dont put too much advance in the timing.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
As long as you are redoing the engine; you might as well put in the parts and machining into the heads to run unleded fuel.
If she runs premium she can probably have a decent amount of power without pinging as long as you dont put too much advance in the timing.

The heads are in getting hardened seats and new guides right now. We pretty much have the same shitty fuel you have

joewhite440

Reaction score
The White Challenger I had just built before my RR had the same basic deal except it was a 440 with the six pack and I had a little more cam 284/484 but it ran on 97 with no issues. Never pinged. The Fel pro gaskets knock the compression down pretty good! We had it figured at about 9.4 to 1. The 906 heads had hardened seats done when the were rebuilt. No porting, gasket matching etc.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
LL1 Surf Turquoise. Bet it was sharp when it was new.

I talked her into going back to that color. Her hubby was a painter so it saw gold and olive of all colors, I also told her I wasn't going to work on it with a black engine bay so it going in for paint soon :D

jays69bird

Reaction score
I know mine has to have high octane (I run non ethanol 91 right now) the fel pro perma torque gaskets do knock it down a bit from the stock 10-1. Still with the ethanol ( even in higher octane)you have issues with vapor lock and poor running.

MsBeep

Reaction score
I talked her into going back to that color. Her hubby was a painter so it saw gold and olive of all colors, I also told her I wasn't going to work on it with a black engine bay so it going in for paint soon :D
IMHO the Surf Turquoise would be the color to go back to! Awful nice of you to help this lady with her ride ,but could you tell me WHY you wouldn't work on the car with a black engine bay? Any connection to Generic Motors practices? Just curious and as you may know, own a R4 bird with a black engine bay....

I run on 87 Octane without ping, but noticed the 92 Octane makes the best tankful with my slightly modified 383.:yesnod:

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
IMHO the Surf Turquoise would be the color to go back to! Awful nice of you to help this lady with her ride ,but could you tell me WHY you wouldn't work on the car with a black engine bay? Any connection to Generic Motors practices? Just curious and as you may know, own a R4 bird with a black engine bay....

I run on 87 Octane without ping, but noticed the 92 Octane makes the best tankful with my slightly modified 383.:yesnod:

The engine is pulled and she wanted the car the way she got it (Surf Turquoise) There is no reason to leave it flat black when the black is in bad shape so it needs painted. She is overly excited about getting it running I have to settle her down and do things right. If your engine bay is black that's fine and I wouldn't pull the motor for that reason but this one is apart and begging for paint. I am a bit of a purist in that respect but that's just me, and my name is going on it. Thank you for your input on the 87 octane we have pretty crappy gas here.

Last edited:

moparchris

Reaction score
Yes, with a flat top piston, 906 head, and the .043 thick fel pro gasket it will run on 91 no problem even if the cam was stock. Should be around 9.6 to 1.

Back