• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick update on getting the 1970 running (at last)!!!

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Well folks it's been a struggle but finally, as of Friday, my 383 is running correctly! I've had this car for over 3 years now, and in January I had it towed to garage. It would run, technically, but took 5 minutes to get it to hold idle and it hesitated badly on acceleration. Carb rebuild time obviously. Went to a good shop that specializes in rebuilds, then sent it back to my main mechanic after rebuild. My main mechanic was doing other work on brakes, etc. Still wouldn't hold idle but it DID run appreciably better. But not frisky like it should be. Hesitation. Not willing to run with the wind if I can get poetic haha. Anyway, I found a guy that just works on muscle cars. He found the problem pretty quick. The carb rebuild had the wrong power valve installed. It had a 2.5 rather than 6.5 (this is a Holley stock carb). Also he adjusted choke, which solved the idle (no idea why the other shop couldn't figure the choke out) and went from I think a 61 needle to a 62 if I recall correctly. Now it fires right up, idles, put it in R doesn't stall out, and is ready to rock and roll. Man, these things are loud! And I think this is all stock, but yeah, loud. Not that I mind.
OK, so today just a little light stuff, replaced the doors sills here's a picture. In a couple weeks the seats will be reupholstered so that will be cool. I would like to raise the passenger seat cause me wife sits low. Anyone ever shim one of these up an inch or two?

SillPlate.JPG

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Do you have numbers on your carb. I have an original Berrie Grant carb. Which Holley bought out. Calling Holley they where able to give me answer's to what I needed to rebuild my carb. After telling them what size motor it was on. Glad you got the problem solved. Know frustration of carb's. But Holley is easy to rebuild. Thanks for pic's nothing like new part's to make the car look good.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
I don't have the numbers but haven't heard of Berrie Grant, what is that exactly? Sounds interesting. Yeah, glad it was the carb rather then something serious!

quikbird

Reaction score
Barry Grant was the guy behind the demon series of carbs, don’t know who is behind the current version. I met him a couple times at the good guys show in columbus

Back