• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

quikbird Intro

quikbird

Reaction score
just found the site and thought I'd join. Had my roadrunner for about ten years now and currently being rebuilt because I broke it at the mopar nats last year. anybody have any good advice on how to get the dash pad off? One of those while I am at it jobs is to rewire the car and I need to change out the gauge cluster etc. for this

earlyrides

Reaction score
did you say easiest or shortest?

Mopar-fuscious say, "Sometimes what seems to be the shortest path is not always the quickest way to the final destination."

I have always found that taking out the windshield and unbolting the dash chassis and working on it from outside the car is the "easiest way" to replace the dash pad.

It is also a great way to do the rewiring.

OR.....

You could try to do it with the dash chassis installed while lying on your back.
It is not impossible like this.
Keep the band-aides handy!

Let us know how it turns out.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
take out the windshield and unbolt the dash/take it out and paint it. I did my car and it looking great (tape over the vin tag blue tape 4-5 layers) and the paint is called sweade paint .it is not raddle can paint! but it is nice because half your dash is painted top and dash face hi AL

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome from the east coast of Ohio. I agree with the pulling the windshield. Seems a bit much, but you can fix other thingn the world to change the master cylinder if you have non power brakes. pefect time to redo dash if needed, and go over the wiring.
Post up some pics of the car.

quikbird

Reaction score
thank you to everyone for the welcome and advice. I promise pics on the way. just need to pull them together to post.
crank and pistons back in block. just waiting on new cam to finish it back up

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Welcome aboard from here in Nebraska, quikbird. It is such a cluster flock under those dashes. You can do it without pulling the dash out, but if you're going to be doing a lot of other work back there I think I would take out the windshield and pull the whole dash out.

Besides all of the wiring that you'll have to snake your hand around - there are defroster vent hoses, the radio, the glove box liner, and heater control cables you'll have to contend with. Plan on scratching your wrist up a bit and getting a cramp or two. If your front seat is still in the car your backache will be worse. And I don't envy you if you've got a 4-speed or a center console.

If you're intent on trying to get to the pad mounting nuts (I can't remember if they're 5/16" or 3/8") I'd start with the glove box first. You probably should remove the glove box door. Then remove the screws that are holding the liner in. After the liner is out you can better see a lot of the other obstacles that will be in your way. Be prepared to remove the radio and ash tray assembly. You may not have to, but you might find it will give you easier access. A flashlight (preferably one with magnetic ability) will help you see the obstacles but you won't get line of sight with those nuts that hold the pad on. After that liner is out you should be able to feel up there where the dash pad nuts are. A quarter inch drive ratchet with a small variety of extensions should be able to reach everything. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back