• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready for Glass

BBillyC

Reaction score
Have to install the glass this weekend. Ive got all new clips etc. and rubber seal for the windshield and have that one figured out. However the rear window was installed with just the black sealer. I'll have to use polyurethane but don't know how thick to apply it. I am guessing about 1/4 inch thick which will permit the trim to sit tight against the glass. Never done this before and any pointers to install that rear window would be very much appreciated.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Don't use polyurethane.

You'll want to use a 5/16" butyl window ribbon seal kit that should be available at a good body supply store. I have heard of some cars needing a 3/8" kit if the window sits down too far.

The ribbon sealer is just what it sounds like... a ribbon. It comes in a roll and you lay it into the pinch weld area and lay the glass on top of it. There needs to be a couple of 1/4" rubber blocks that lay in the bottom to keep the window from sliding down.

They haven't done windows like this in years so it may be a little hard to find the right kit, but don't give up.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
Don't use polyurethane.

You'll want to use a 5/16" butyl window ribbon seal kit that should be available at a good body supply store. I have heard of some cars needing a 3/8" kit if the window sits down too far.

The ribbon sealer is just what it sounds like... a ribbon. It comes in a roll and you lay it into the pinch weld area and lay the glass on top of it. There needs to be a couple of 1/4" rubber blocks that lay in the bottom to keep the window from sliding down.

They haven't done windows like this in years so it may be a little hard to find the right kit, but don't give up.
That really sounds easy I know my blocks were gone but I might look for a kit!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
Don't use polyurethane.

That really sounds easy I know my blocks were gone but I might look for a kit!
Maybe your not a woos after all.......... :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The blocks should be in the kit.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
toms69rr said:
I found it at advanced Auto Supply
I believe Napa carries it too
5/16 and 3/8
I'm not a woos. NAPA has it coming in for me :yesnod:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
toms69rr said:
5/16 and 3/8
Now then, you saved money and it will be very gratifying. And you thought I was just picking on you. :lol: :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
69hemibeep said:
toms69rr said:
5/16 and 3/8
Now then, you saved money and it will be very gratifying. And you thought I was just picking on you. :lol: :thumbsup:
Good friends like you are hard to come by. Ah Ho I feel a warm feeling :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back