• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Deck lid torsion bars

MoparDan

Reaction score
Good evening, has anyone installed the torsion bars for a trunk lid on a 1970 RR? When I bought my car they were laying in the trunk. I thought that I would put them in before I welded in the new deck filler panel. I spent about an hour today fiddling with it and accomplished nothing. I couldn't even find a picture of the ends. I found plenty for A Bodies, E Bodies and Chargers but none of them are like a 70 Road Runner. Can anyone with a 70 take some Pics for me?
Dan

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Put the filler in first. Last thing would put the torsion bars in after everything is done. They are a pain to put in. You will find that they are in your way when working on sheet metal back there.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Put the filler in first. Last thing would put the torsion bars in after everything is done. They are a pain to put in. You will find that they are in your way when working on sheet metal back there.
Thanks Russ. but regardless I'll need to do it. I'm gathering from my reading that 1, It's hard to do, and 2 most people are converting to struts.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Not that hard once you get it figured out. Had to use a bar to move the end that you set the adjustment tension on. It is a bit of a challenge, but it can be done. Made a board to hold the hood open while I was in the trunk. Used some plastic washers to adjust the side to side play and make it line up with the body. Got them at Lowes hardware store. Good luck with the project. :thumbsup2:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Thank you for volunteering but Woodwiz posted some on another thread. It only took about 20 minutes to get them installed and set up. I like the pictures you sent though

Back