• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shelf speakers 1970

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
I've got 2 different plastic grills on the rear speakers. Installed with different screws (naturally). Were there any plastic grills originally or are there just slots for the sound to come through?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There was one rear speaker with slots in the panel, the other side was for a rear window defroster but most people put a second speaker in with the new 8 track tape player they added. Just noticed you have a 70 now I'm not sure if this holds true

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Interesting. What you said about defroster gave me an insight possibly. On the rear shelf, I noticed 2 scored oval shapes to far left and far left. Couldn't figure out what they were. They look to be something that one could just punch out with a firm press on them. They look factory, very precisely done, and about maybe 4'" x 2". I'm thinking the rear defroster may have been an option, and if it was, they would punch these out at factory for the vents to blow air on the rear window. I don't know quite what else they could be for.
Following your Hemmings links, nicely done, wow.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Here is a shot of shelf with the punch out on right side. For defrosting air vent?
Rear tray punch outs.jpg

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
If anything comes to you, let me know. From the trunk, there are 2 holes in the steel under the shelf, that seem to correspond to the ovals.

Back