• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing front bench seat

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I am putting in a new dash harness and I believe the easiest way to do it is remove the front bench seat.

Anybody wanna share do's and dont's or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
JB blaster on the nuts under the car. The rest is getting it done. Have fun. May need another person to help getting that bench seat out.

Carl Ray

Reaction score
I would leave the seat and pull the glove box and cluster. Lots easier to see things from the top as you hook up the wires.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I would leave the seat and pull the glove box and cluster. Lots easier to see things from the top as you hook up the wires.
Interesting. I will look at that. Is it tough to pull the cluster?

V.R.D

Reaction score
there are harness holders in different spots in and under dash remove all components in dash to get to behind everything .the seat removal will make it e-z to get under dash. where safety glasses as the padding will fall on you

Carl Ray

Reaction score
Interesting. I will look at that. Is it tough to pull the cluster?
I can only relate my experience with 69 RR with non ralleye cluster. Yes, a bit of a pain to pull the cluster because you have to pull the switch panel and lower dash pad. Probably helps if you lower the steering column a bit also. I found it easier because I could see everything right side up and could get my hands on the harness to ensure it was routed properly and in the retainers. With a regular cluster you have to be careful with the round 9 pin connector. The new harness will be really tight to put in and it is easy to break the pins off. I had a spare cluster I hooked the 9 pin up to a few times outside the car to spread the connnectors a bit. If you don't have a Tach the only cluster connections are the 9 pin, speedo cable and the Ammeter. While the cluster was out I also ensured my Ammeter connections to the cluster were tight and in good condition. Mine is an AC car so I have a bit less room under the dash also.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I can only relate my experience with 69 RR with non ralleye cluster. Yes, a bit of a pain to pull the cluster because you have to pull the switch panel and lower dash pad. Probably helps if you lower the steering column a bit also. I found it easier because I could see everything right side up and could get my hands on the harness to ensure it was routed properly and in the retainers. With a regular cluster you have to be careful with the round 9 pin connector. The new harness will be really tight to put in and it is easy to break the pins off. I had a spare cluster I hooked the 9 pin up to a few times outside the car to spread the connnectors a bit. If you don't have a Tach the only cluster connections are the 9 pin, speedo cable and the Ammeter. While the cluster was out I also ensured my Ammeter connections to the cluster were tight and in good condition. Mine is an AC car so I have a bit less room under the dash also.
Thanks. Mine is non AC and non Tach

Back