• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing switch panel from Dash

69RRBeepBeep

Reaction score
We've been trying to remove the switch panel from our 69 Roadrunner without much success. We have tried removing all the connectors, the four screws in the front of the panel, and pulling it and pushing from the back. It feels like it is caught on the side towards the passenger, but we can't find anything holding it. Looking for anyone with a video or pictures or advice on how to get this out without fully removing the dash. We just bought this car and it has been sitting for quite a while, the windshield wipers, along with the dimmer switch isn't working and we have traced all the wires to determine we need to replace the dimmer switch but need to remove the switch panel to do that. The windshield wipers only work on one speed, we need to troubleshoot that. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Screw drivers with rags so not to crack the dash pad and pry the passenger side. The pad shrinks around the panel over time. Putting it in is no fun either

HD539

Reaction score
Merry Christmas, I ended up just taking the dash and instrument panel out along with the switch panel. The switch panel fits pretty tight and I didn’t want to risk damaging the pad around it. As 69hemibeep indicated it can be done just be patient it’s just riskier.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It is all ways the simple things that seam to be the hardest to deal with. Good luck guy's. Glad to here of the progress some you are making. :kartman: Like the arm chair quarter back said it is not easy. :lol:

Ranger

Reaction score
I just replaced that thumb wheel IP dimmer switch last summer (or was it the summer before?). I seem to recall just 2 screws from the backside and it fell right out. Maybe I just got lucky.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey Ranger did you get a repro. switch or have one remand. Can't say yet that my dimmer switch is bad or good did not have dome light. Did not want to burn up any wiring so just started the motor and put it in the shop. Started restoring it.

Ranger

Reaction score
I bought a repo switch. The resistor spring in mine was rusted to pieces. I tried a repair, but was unsuccessful, so I bit the bullet and just bought a new one.

P.S.
Sorry for the late reply. My daughter was moving to DEN and I drove a car out for them. Just got back today.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have not gotten that far yet with the car still trying to get the shell painted. Drilled holes for headlight dimmer switch yesterday. Making progress a little at a time. Filled and block sanded the car and now going to spray feather filler and block it one more time. Before spraying epoxy sealer then block it one more time then paint. Yea.

69RRBeepBeep

Reaction score
We did find success, though it was hard going. It is correct the switch panel should have come right out BUT the dimmer switch was catching, so once we removed that we were able to remove it. Thanks for the info.

Back